• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My New Tegu

Kruger

This is our new Tegu, Kruger. He is the last, so I say of our reptile collection. :) I'm open to any suggestions on bonding, indoor enclosure ideas....etc. We were told he's less than a year, we have had him less than a week.

Attachments

• 20151223_162557.jpg
    20151223_162557.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 36

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats. Where's he from? Has a tegusonly look about him.

Any questions, just ask,we'll all help.

Kruger

The person we got him from said it was not tegusonly, that was one of the places we did research. She did say he was wild caught in Florida, hope that doesn't make a difference in. Was it his tell that gave him away or something else? We drove round trip over 14 hours to get this guy, want to make sure we do everything right. :)

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No. The slender snout and general pattern of the Florida gene pool. Very beautiful animal you have.

BaiYing509

No. The slender snout and general pattern of the Florida gene pool. Very beautiful animal you have.
So the Floridian Tegus have a skinnier nose than others? That's interesting, because I have a lot of dig spots in the yard that have an extremely slender snout making them. Now I know who the culprit is! I have game cameras up, still no luck. But one day, I will spy her, I can feel it. Congrats, on your Floridian 'gu.

Last edited:

snibborsirk

Having recently obtained a "Florida" tegu and researched their population extensively I can definitely agree that they have a distinct pattern and longer, more slender snout. A very sleek and beautiful tegu population! Reminds me of a monitor build rather then the bulkier tegu body we're used to. I'm really hoping my Florida Chacoan like tegu is a female so I can cross it with my bulkier "Firebelly" true Chacoan male...Would be some stunning babies I'm sure! Unfortunately I'm leaning towards male for my Florida tegu. Columbia, SC is terrible as far as reptile enthusiasts go, so I'm on my own for breeding here.

On a side note, if anyone here needs some map making or spatial/statistical analysis done please contact me. I'm an Environmental GIS Manager for the military so I have access to all of the top notch hardware and software! I did some maps for Rodney at TegusOnly that I believe helped him out considerably with the tegu population control in south Florida.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Snib- neat skill. I'm a biologist and use/value that skill.

I wonder. Perhaps Florida form is normal and blunt stocky face is artifact of inbreeding and/or captive breeding.

The Florida morph seems normal to me.

Glad you're helping Rodney. He's definitely good people.

Sides of cloaca, feel for BBs. Swear that's what the feel like. If so at about 6 + months of age, a male jowls form fast.

I hope you get the tegus you want. Me, I'm partial to firebelly, although my girl Snowflake is looksome too.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Snib- must give your breeders hard down time to initiate gametogenesis. Cold causes egg and sperm production for spring mating. Several months of 60ish F and access to water and some warmth at other end of enclosure as well as shorter days will put the month right track for breeding. Mine have beenina a Tupperware in58-67 F since late Nov.

BaiYing509

Snib that's awesome that you were able to help Rodney Irwin out. He is such a helpful and knowledgable guy, he is a real asset to the Tegu world. I would be interested in the population info of S. Fl if it isn't classified. I know they are seeing quite a few in Hillsborough County, which is only an hour and half from me. IF the spread continues, and they can live through a few hours of freezing weather, then the population could take root here. I believe there are more here in N Central FL than just mine, as it took me months to figure out I had a lizard, and she had been watching from the roof! No one else in the neighborhood has seen her or even thought such a creature could live here. So think how many people who aren't outside that much and don't pay much attention anyway could have one or more!

I am beginning to wonder if my "Invader" Phuong isn't a wild tegu from S. FL and happened to hitch a ride here, either from a transport vehicle of some kind or an RV, as there is an RV park about a block from me. We used to get beautiful Indigos here from the traveling RVs, and I had a very large one in the bushes in front of my house. That snake was huge, and lived a long time. The reason I think Phuong is a wild tegu is because she is so shy, and doesn't seem to recognize "pet" things like heat lamps. She doesn't even like eggs, cooked or raw, or even the shells! I suppose no one told her she is supposed to love them. And I had a small wren of some sort build a nest right by my laundry room door and she was always flying into my face which I did not appreciate, so I put her nest and eggs out in the yard hoping she would stay out there. The eggs weren't viable, unfortunately and Phuong never touched them. No one did so I ended up throwing them away, nest and all.

I hope you get those babies, best of luck to you.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam