• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My new Leo :)

WildlifeLover429

Hey everyone! Just wanted to share that I just got my very first leopard gecko!

[attachment=2748]
[attachment=2749]
[attachment=2750]

Attachments

• Gecko 005.JPG
    Gecko 005.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Gecko 001.JPG
    Gecko 001.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 6
  • Gecko 004.JPG
    Gecko 004.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 7

WildlifeLover429

Just got him a few minutes ago so my set up doesn't have a lot of decor. If you have any opinions I am open (this is my first leo) :)

[attachment=2751]
[attachment=2752]
[attachment=2753]

p.s. I know they eat crickets, mealworms, (waxworms/pinkies as treats) but I was wondering.... is that all?? I mean could I feed it any of the things we feed our Gu's? Like ground turkey, chicken, stuff like that. It's just a thought.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 7

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Cool setup looking okay, you seem to have the same prob that i do with my repti carpet, the carpet always raises up on me. Only thing i would say is i hope your using more than just the circular thermometer to measure temps and humidity, those things are often incorrect. Get your self a Digital probe thermometer or infra red temp gun,along with a digital hygrometer. I now use the Acu Rite indoor outdoor thermometer on all my cages except for my sav tank being my supplier is out of them for now.

Oh and i noticed my Leo's mostly drink the water droplets in the humid hide,so just keep it nice and moist in the humid hide. Never really catch them drinking from the water dish.

You could also lose the lights and just get yourself a under tank heater. Are both lights heat bulbs? You only need one heat bulb. And one moist hide, the moss would do better in the moist hide.

Yeah that's it, just the basic things. Good luck with your leo!

WildlifeLover429

Strange_Evil said:
Cool setup looking okay, you seem to have the same prob that i do with my repti carpet, the carpet always raises up on me. Only thing i would say is i hope your using more than just the circular thermometer to measure temps and humidity, those things are often incorrect. Get your self a Digital probe thermometer or infra red temp gun,along with a digital hygrometer. I now use the Acu Rite indoor outdoor thermometer on all my cages except for my sav tank being my supplier is out of them for now.

Oh and i noticed my Leo's mostly drink the water droplets in the humid hide,so just keep it nice and moist in the humid hide. Never really catch them drinking from the water dish.

You could also lose the lights and just get yourself a under tank heater. Are both lights heat bulbs? You only need one heat bulb. And one moist hide, the moss would do better in the moist hide.

Yeah that's it, just the basic things. Good luck with your leo!

The bulbs came with the set up and yes they are heat lamps (UVA). There is one regular and one red bulb (the red bulb I will use at night).

I heard the heating pads could burn their belly. That's not true? If so then I will buy one, unless the bulbs are fine.

The plastic hide is my humid hide which has a wet paper towel in it and plenty of moisture.

I'm definitely going to get better thermostats.

I just put the moss in that other hide for comfort :)

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
All the bulbs are not even really needed, most leo owners just use heating pads, you can run a 24hr cycle with the heating pads, i notice mines are much more active now than before with the lights as we'll.

Your right about heating pads being able to burn, but thats only when you do not properly use them, all heating pads should be connected to a thermostat and controlled, i started off with the Zilla Thermostat you can find at your local petco for like $30 or something, but i now use Reptile Basics ranco thermostat . So just make sure you use a thermostat and you'll be fine.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
Wow stunning leo. Leopard geckos are great pets. Easy to take care of and full of personality. I agree with everything mentioned above. I recently switched from a heat bulb to a UTH for my 2 leopard geckos and I have to say Im glad I did. As mentioned they run for 24hrs and they never blow which is the best part. Both mine are hooked to a rheostat which is basically like a dimmer to turn the heat down.

Don't know about Strange Evil's leos but mines has always drunk from a bowl. in fact U use a reptile water well. It is a bit expensive but it holds water for like 2 weeks which is great. And you absolutely cannot feed them the same things you feed your tegu. They are pure insectivores. Stick to small insects and you should be fine. Provide variety for them but know it's not as important as providing variety to something like a tegu. Also for the cage add some branches for them to climb on. Mines love climbing on low hanging branches.

One last thing, as he gets older I would really upgrade to a 20L. It's not necessary but it's a nice size for an adult leo assuming yours is still a baby. Well GL with your gecko, they are easy lizards to take care of I doubt you will have problems. Here is a old pic of my setup for one of my female leos.

Attachments

• 101_0071.JPG
    101_0071.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
rrcoolj said:
Don't know about Strange Evil's leos but mines has always drunk from a bowl. in fact U use a reptile water well. It is a bit expensive but it holds water for like 2 weeks which is great. And you absolutely cannot feed them the same things you feed your tegu. They are pure insectivores. Stick to small insects and you should be fine. Provide variety for them but know it's not as important as providing variety to something like a tegu. Also for the cage add some branches for them to climb on. Mines love climbing on low hanging branches.

Yeah i find that odd too, maybe because mines are just babes still, who knows, they are really healthy and i did a little research and it seems thats a pretty normal leo thing to do,drinking the water droplets.

I agree 1000% on the feeding part as we'll! Follow his advice and set up, just keep yours on the carpet for now though, the baby leos are a little more clumsy when eating.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nice leo, i miss having mines, they are so quarky lol, i would follow everyones advice, ditch the lamp and get a uth, crickets and mealworms are you best bet and when he gets older you can offer supers(my tremper prefered the mealworms) ialso noticed i dont see a bowl for the calcium Powder in either enclosure, i always kept a deli cup top with a little sprikle of calcium and vitamin powder, i heard they like to lick it from time to time

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
reptastic brings up a good point. You should always leave some calcium in like a bowl for your leos in addition to dusting their food with calcium. For some reason leos like to lick up extra calcium on occasion. Gutloading is also a very good idea when it comes to the insects you feed. I have a thriving mealworm colony so I know my mealies are fed good quality food which means my leos will be healthy. My adult leos actually prefer superworms because they move around more and are more stimulating. I keep a thin layer of calcium powder in my feeding dish so the leos can lick it as they like and the insects will roll around in it. I agree on keeping them on cage carpet until atleast a year old then you can switch to sand if you like. My leos are 4 years old now and have been on sand for 3 of those years.

adam1120

my girl got a leapoard gecko thank god she did lol shes was always the one sayign reptile are stupid not pets no fun blah blah lol so i was like here take care of my leapoard gecko for a month i told her everything to do and gave her roaches im breeding haha look 5 months later she both a 20 l all new stuff for the inside she in love now she wants a beardie cus i habe two of them and she feel in love im telling her in a few months shes gunna want a tegu:D

WildlifeLover429

Thanks everyone :) I will definitely invest in a heating pad and thermostat. He or She is still a baby so once it starts getting larger the enclosure will too (the larger the enclosure the more interesting decor you can put in right lol). I'm excited to buy decorations for my leo and will be putting more fun stuff to hide and climb in. I got it late last night so the set up isn't always going to look that way. I won't be feeding anything but insects to my leo the tegu food was just a question but I researched and found that they are strictly insect eaters so ... yea no Gu food for my baby lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced