• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My little man Kinabo, (pictures)

Dana C

[attachment=4422][attachment=4423][attachment=4424][attachment=4425][attachment=4426]
I had a few older pictures to show the size difference but can't find them....tomorrow I will post more.

I should add that the yellowish picture makes Kinabo look much smaller than he is. I took it with a medium telephoto without a flash. He was about 2+ or a little more past my foot, (size 13).
While he looks a little menacing, he is a really nice guy....even warm!

Attachments

• Baby Boy_edited-1.jpg
    Baby Boy_edited-1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • Kinablo eats_edited-1.jpg
    Kinablo eats_edited-1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • kinabo 6-12 B.jpg
    kinabo 6-12 B.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • Kinabo 6-2012.jpg
    Kinabo 6-2012.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
  • Kinabo chows down.jpg
    Kinabo chows down.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

Dana C

A couple of pictures were taken in a smaller enclosure which he spent the night in while I worked on the lighting in his normal enclosure. It is an 8x4x4 monster. It is constructed out of 3/8th plywood, sealed with Dry Lok. I use peat moss and a little dirt for substrate, 8-10" deep. It has glass doors that lift up and has no screening at all. The doors don't seal the enclosure so air exchange comes from the cracks between the doors and the frame.

LizardzRock

great looking albig Dana. Yea with monitors you have to have very minimal vents to keep your temps and humidity up. No screens, vents, etc as they will just dehydrate them. I am actually closing some vents up on a cage I kept a red tail in a while back ago for an Ackie duo or trio I am getting in the future. By the time I am done the only "vent" so to say will be the seem between the plexi-glass and wood where the hinge meets. Other than that it is sealed.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
8 to 10 inches of substrate? wow he must love to burrow. love the colors on him tho.

Dana C

dragonmetalhead said:
He's a gorgeous monitor. What is it you're feeding him in the photos?

The pictured food is ground chicken, beef heart, beef liver, chicken gizzards, ground egg shell, vitamins and scrambled egg. I feed whole prey items a couple of times a week as well but not every day.

HPIZZLE said:
Nice! i love black throats.
I'd be too chicken to feed him right next to my feet though, lol.

In terms of feeding next to me, he is gentler than my Tegus. When I want him to finish his plate, I scoop up whatever is left onto a fork and he actually likes eating from a fork. He lets me wipe his mouth off as well. He hisses at me from time to time when I do something that he doesn't like but he is pretty docile the vast majority of the time. I touch his tail a lot and that has reduced the tail whipping to almost zero.

frost said:
8 to 10 inches of substrate? wow he must love to burrow. love the colors on him tho.

Some of the monitor people use around two feet of substrate, some less. I put a lot in because it compacts due to Kinabo's weight. I then stick a gardening hoe in and fluff it up a bit.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
ahh i havent really had many monitors,when i decide to get one ill prolly use that much.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744