• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My cat got bit

fisheric

My cat, harley quinn, managed to get bit by I think a dog yesterday.

She didnt come inside last night, I found her hiding this morning. There were some dog tracks in my yard. She has licked all the hair off around the wound.

catkw.jpg

catleg.jpg

Dirtydmc

Cats are pretty tough. I had one that got.attacked by a hawk. Messed her quarter panel up.pretty bad. She packed some in it and hid in the barn till she could get around again.
Tonight my dogs hurt my kitten. He can't stand on his foot at all. I'll wait two days if its not better to the vet he goes.

Keep the wound clean with peroxide. And use ointment. It should heal up good.

Kebechet

Dirtydmc said:
Keep the wound clean with peroxide. And use ointment. It should heal up good.

Peroxide is actually a bad idea on a wound that deep. It can seriously damage the tissue. On a fresh wound, it can encourage excess bleeding also.

Cats are tough, but that wound looks pretty deep, and really bad. A vet visit really is best.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Puncture wounds like that should be seen by a vet. I would make an appointment with your normal vet, no need for the ER visit. But yes please do not use Peroxide, it is good for surface wounds, but deep wounds like that it can inhibit tissue healing and actully cause more damage.

fisheric

Thanks for the concern

Here is an update. Harley is doing much better. She slept for a couple days. She is in good spirits now except she sure hate getting the wound cleaned. I tried to take some more pics of her but I couldnt get her to look at the camera.

BTW that is a tuff of hair in the middle not an infection.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
:( Definitely needs to be checked, flushed and stitched (if need be) by a Vet. Since she spends time out side there's no telling what could have happened. Cat fight, dog, insect bite that abscessed or what ever,.. either way it needs to be looked at. Before infection sets in and you really have a Vet bill and more issues on your hands that could have been prevented.

turtlepunk

yes, be a responsible pet owner and PLEEAAASE take her to a vet ASAP. I would hate to see your cat die due to negligence. =(

Piercedcub32

Yes, she needs a vet. It looks more like a tear wound than a bite, but you can never be too cautious with Rabies though, is she vaccinated for Rabies? If not, the vet will impose a 6 month quarantine during which all exposure to animals and humans is kept to an absolute minimum (if vaccinated, the quarantine period is still 1 month with a visit from the animal control officer and spot inspections to be sure she is isolated. Remember, once you see signs of a Rabies infection, it is 100% fatal). The wound either way needs to be cleaned and most likely debrided at this point. Do not use Hydrogen peroxide on that, as mentioned earlier, it is harmful to healthy tissue. Right now (well in that pic) it looks like the vet can still freshen the edges of the wound and close it, and put her on some antibiotics. If you do not go to the vet, you risk infection and possible lower limb loss from that infection. Thats my medical opinion, my personal opinion is that cat is still way too small to be going outside on her own, at her size, she is a very viable prey option!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam