• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Blue Tegu Official Thread

Steven.

Guess this is the new thing to do on the forum lol. This Thread is gonna be for Blue, my male blue tegu. All questions, comments, help, pictures etc. will be posted here by me and fellow forum members.

2012-08-19180723.jpg

This is Blue Beard. He got his name because my family thinks that tegus get there names from the color of the beards aka jowls lol. So since he's a blue, you got it, he gonna get a BLUE beard lol. Anyways he a great little guy, born on aug 7 2012 no bigger than 7 inches. I've had him since the 18th, so this would be a one week update. What can i say, he's a baby lol. He runs into the every side of his 40 gallon when someone enters the room and he still pretty energetic when you first pick him up. But after like a couple of seconds he calms down and then he finds a spot to sleep.. Such as..

tegusllep.jpg

OR

2012-08-21190600.jpg

Lol. He's my buddy. I offer him food everyday but he seems to eat every other day. So far i gave him ground turkey and crickets. And i've had no issues with that. I also hold him for about 30 minutes to an hour a day before i go to work. Then my brother and my mom hold him throughout the day as well. So he definetly getting his handling, it easier now becuase he small and calms down quick. He bask for about 20 mintues every hour for 8-9 hours a day and when he's not basking, blue is digging up his eco earth or sleeping in my vest. I wear a vest every niight before i got to bed and when i wake up i do my morning duties in it and when i change for work i put in the enclosure for him. He loves it. He sleeps in it, takes his daily naps in or on it or he'll just drag it to the hot side and chill there. Everyday he get a new one. I'm depending on the running around when someone comes in the room to go away by itself, i dont think theres much i can do about that. I also pratice calling his name for everything.."hello blue", "come on blue", "food time blue", "go to sleep blue", "stop running around blue",etc. lol.. Hopefully that will help him know his name. I haven't tried any other taming methods yet, usually when i hold him i let him free roam on me and he ends up sleeping somewhere. Also i noticed when i keep him in my hands for long, he goes belly down and arms and legs back. So i guessing he pretty comfortable in my hands. I don't want to rush too many things on him since he still new to everything. But if anyone has any suggestions, lemme know.

[size=large]Feel free to comment, Ask question, or shoot your concerns. Let this be a learning experience for all beginners and way to through info back and forth to other experienced member on tt. Thanks.[/size]

chriswizz

5 Year Member
Steven. said:
Guess this is the new thing to do on the forum lol. This Thread is gonna be for Blue, my male blue tegu. All questions, comments, help, pictures etc. will be posted here by me and fellow forum members.

2012-08-19180723.jpg

This is Blue Beard. He got his name because my family thinks that tegus get there names from the color of the beards aka jowls lol. So since he's a blue, you got it, he gonna get a BLUE beard lol. Anyways he a great little guy, born on aug 7 2012 no bigger than 7 inches. I've had him since the 18th, so this would be a one week update. What can i say, he's a baby lol. He runs into the every side of his 40 gallon when someone enters the room and he still pretty energetic when you first pick him up. But after like a couple of seconds he calms down and then he finds a spot to sleep.. Such as..

tegusllep.jpg

OR

2012-08-21190600.jpg

Lol. He's my buddy. I offer him food everyday but he seems to eat every other day. So far i gave him ground turkey and crickets. And i've had no issues with that. I also hold him for about 30 minutes to an hour a day before i go to work. Then my brother and my mom hold him throughout the day as well. So he definetly getting his handling, it easier now becuase he small and calms down quick. He bask for about 20 mintues every hour for 8-9 hours a day and when he's not basking, blue is digging up his eco earth or sleeping in my vest. I wear a vest every niight before i got to bed and when i wake up i do my morning duties in it and when i change for work i put in the enclosure for him. He loves it. He sleeps in it, takes his daily naps in or on it or he'll just drag it to the hot side and chill there. Everyday he get a new one. I'm depending on the running around when someone comes in the room to go away by itself, i dont think theres much i can do about that. I also pratice calling his name for everything.."hello blue", "come on blue", "food time blue", "go to sleep blue", "stop running around blue",etc. lol.. Hopefully that will help him know his name. I haven't tried any other taming methods yet, usually when i hold him i let him free roam on me and he ends up sleeping somewhere. Also i noticed when i keep him in my hands for long, he goes belly down and arms and legs back. So i guessing he pretty comfortable in my hands. I don't want to rush too many things on him since he still new to everything. But if anyone has any suggestions, lemme know.

[size=large]Feel free to comment, Ask question, or shoot your concerns. Let this be a learning experience for all beginners and way to through info back and forth to other experienced member on tt. Thanks.[/size]
hes gorgeous, cant realy say any more than that.

jondancer

my new baby blue is a crazy one to. he stopped running when people enter the room, now he just puffs up big and tall.
i hope he tames down someday.

Steven.

Thanks guys.. I hope my guy tames down as well... And bmx3000max.. I hope one day he answers like yogi does lol

sent from my phone to your eyes

Steven.

So today i spent almost an hour hold him and once again... He fell asleep. This time he fell asleep in my hand for about 45 minutes.. Which is different he usually finds some place to sleep.. I think i should get him a hide and stop using my tees.. I thinks he using my scent as a hide or somewhere to sleep...

Steven.

That's how he sleeps..lol.. In your hands.. In your pocket.. In your shirt even sometimes in my chair.. Always in a little ball. Plus he such a heavy sleeper.. You can roll him on his back.. Move his legs or tail and he won't even open his eyes...lol. Sometimes when i put him in his cage i have to tuck him in for bed cause he won't wake up and move lol.. He my son..lol

Steven.

Hey guys, instead of crickets you think i can get really small roaches for him?.. I have never seen small roaches before just the big ones, so thats why i'm wondering...

Another thing, he hasnt went through shed yet. He's two weeks. Is that normal or should i be checking something?. Like i said i offer food everyday but he eats ever other day, crickets and ground turkey so far. Tomorrow morning ill try some eggs..

Ntyvirus

Only problems with roaches is bein in Florida it would have to be some sort of native species. The ever popular Dubia is considered exotic and can't be bought in state. There was 1 guy I saw selling native roaches on fauna classifieds but he never got back to me when I asked him about them.

Steven.

So guys heres an update on blue. He's now 2 days short of a month. I went on a business trip on the 28th of aug and came back home last night only to find blue MISSING HIS TAIL!!! WTH!!!. So i spoke to family and they basicly said that he meet my cat. =0. She apperently jumped into the cage and i dont know if she attacked him or just sat there in the cage and watched him move around, which is what she does with all the lizards in the house, so we are leaning more toward that, but no one was there to actually see what was went on. My mother found his tail in his water bowl and blue underground. She said she picked him up and took in the shower for a warm soak and she massaged his legs and tail while he was in the water. She said she was scared because he kept going on his back and not moving, it was like he was paralyzed. After the bath she put him under the powersun and watch him slowly get some life back. This happened on the 29th, the day after i left. I was so mad she didnt call me right away but my mom had dealth with a faimly friend's iguana when he got his tail stuck under a brick a long time ago, so i'm thankful she was there. Since then she has kept a close eye on him and his behavior and nothing has changed. He still eats, poops and sleeps. He's a bit more skittish now but i dont blame him. I hope and i pray that something like this doesnt ever happen again or to anyone of my fellow tegu owners.

As of today, my first day with him, he been the exact same when i left lol. As soon as he see's someone he runs around the tank until you pick him up. But my family has been holding him everyday since i left and when i picked him up today, it showed. No fight or flight what so ever. He just kept walking and flicking. I offered him food today even though he ate yesterday and he ate everything. So i'm going to start feeding him everyday now since he's become adjusted. After the feeding, i put him in the sink with some warm water with my hand in there as support. After the bath i cleaned his tail with some rubbing alcohol and iodine. I didnt want to put him back in the enclousure to bask just yet, so i sat down and watched tv with him. Here's some pics from today...

2012-09-05180247.jpg

Its not that bad and at least it'll grow back... =(

2012-09-05184318.jpg

He fell asleep for almost 3 hours, I RAN OUT OF STUFF TO WATCH LOL!!!

STARTED LIKE THIS.. the famous basket ball shorts taming method lol
2012-09-05185731.jpg

2012-09-05185717.jpg

2012-09-05185023.jpg

THEN HE MOVED...
2012-09-05193055.jpg

2012-09-05193120.jpg

THEN HE JUST PASSED OUT LOL. this is his fatness shot =)
2012-09-05194651.jpg

ALL TUCKED IN AND READY FOR BED..
2012-09-05195949.jpg

I also re did his cage today. I move the stone and put a slate for basking and I made a den under that slate for him to chill in throughout the day..
2012-09-05195905.jpg

2012-09-05191226.jpg

2012-09-05195920.jpg

[size=large]I'll love him without the tail =) THANK YOU FOR READING.[/size]

P.s- Do you think i should be holding him in my hand instead of letting him sleep on me, that way he might be more "hand" tamed, or is what i'm doing good?..

Also when i go into the enclosure to get him i just scoop him up, i don't let him stop running around, i just put my hand in his path way and when he get on top of my hand i pick him up?.. Is this forcing it or is this a proper way to get him out?...

Logie_Bear

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about the tail, but I'm really glad the kitty didnt take a bite out of him or anything more serious. Just make sure the tail-wound stays clean of dirt and debris and keep us updated with lots more pics. :eek:

spark678

Poor Blue Beard. Glad he was ok. I would of skinned my cat. Also not sure if you put a lid on his enclosure but it looks like he can jump out easy. Just be careful if you dont have a lid.

Steven.

Ill clean his tail everyday with rubbing alcohol after his baths. Also i think if i was here... Id be one cat less lol... But she's a very curious cat... Very very curious...

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maybe I'd skip the alcohol and just put Neosporin on it. The end heals super fast and has little blood supply to it.

Logie_Bear

Ouch! I would not use rubbing alcohol. Just get some plain neosporin. Make sure that it is plain and not the kind with pain relief .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam