• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My baby won't eat

Jstew

I'm an avid reptile lover but am new to the tegu world. I just got my tegu a few days ago and he's only a few weeks old he's still covered in green. I love him to death but the problem is he hasn't eaten yet. So far I've tried peaches crickets and scrambled egg but no success on my part. Should I be worried because I am.. I just want him to be happy and healthy so any suggestions are welcome.

Ripkabird98

Jstew said:
I'm an avid reptile lover but am new to the tegu world. I just got my tegu a few days ago and he's only a few weeks old he's still covered in green. I love him to death but the problem is he hasn't eaten yet. So far I've tried peaches crickets and scrambled egg but no success on my part. Should I be worried because I am.. I just want him to be happy and healthy so any suggestions are welcome.

Well if he is still green, I can nearly guarntee he is an import, so he might have Parasites. I would get a Fecal test done.

On top of that, he may just still be settling in.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the site :) and congrats on the new gu.
It takes time and new environments can be stressful, so some take longer to eat than others. 2 days is not a big deal (for a healthy tegu)they can go months without eating.
Takes some time to read up if you haven't already. There's a great thread in the Tegu Articles section (I think it's the first one) with foods you can try.
Also a healthy animal will not starve itself, they eat when they're hungry and need to.

Jstew

I appreciate the replies and rest assured I put in the time to research the best I can but nothing really prepares you like owning one, the thing that is bothering me is you're right he is an import. I've tried crickets meal worms fresh peach and scrambled eggs. He's getting more distant as time goes on.. I'm especially upset because I work at a pet shop and my bosses garuanteed me is be better off getting a tegu through them but I can tell he is unhealthy. I want to provide my tegu with the best care and all the love on the world but frankly I'm upset I am starting my tegu journey with such a bad beginning. Thank you for the welcome I look forward to being a part of this community. Feel free to email me if there are any other advice or suggestions to offer.

Deac77

5 Year Member
Jstew said:
I appreciate the replies and rest assured I put in the time to research the best I can but nothing really prepares you like owning one, the thing that is bothering me is you're right he is an import. I've tried crickets meal worms fresh peach and scrambled eggs. He's getting more distant as time goes on.. I'm especially upset because I work at a pet shop and my bosses garuanteed me is be better off getting a tegu through them but I can tell he is unhealthy. I want to provide my tegu with the best care and all the love on the world but frankly I'm upset I am starting my tegu journey with such a bad beginning. Thank you for the welcome I look forward to being a part of this community. Feel free to email me if there are any other advice or suggestions to offer.

My Kirby went 2 weeks without eating when I got him. Reptiles deal with stress differently than us just give him proper temps, humidity, and UVB and soon enough he will be eating everything in site.

It's very common for new tegu owners to stress over the none eating beginnings we've all gone through it! Lol

Jstew

Thanks for all the advice Randall finally ate for the first time. I think he just needed to adjust but who knows.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602