• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My baby black and white

Mikee1975

I have for for going on 3 weeks . Shes about a month old . I might sound like a broken record but she still won't let me pick her up she will climb on my hand even out of the cage but she wont let me pick her up . Is this normal should i be patient she is very young . I want her to trust me . Tips please. Oh and I need to if they are moody lol . Every day when I come home from work i go to her cage and she hangs with me . I think its because shes hungry and curious but today she is hiding from me . I know shes tiny. I have the shirt I there . Am I just being impatient ? I try to spend as much time as possible near her enclosure .

Last edited:

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
patience .....PATIENCE......patience.

Bet I couldn't even pick Alpha up properly for the first 3 month.

Mikee1975

That's kinda what I figured . Shes getting there slowly . I. Just impatient because I know shes gonna be huge one day .

Dylan koch

Every tegu is different but in my experience black and white and reds take lots of time!! My blues were and have always been super friendly from day 1! Also you have to remember they are tiny and bottom of food chain hiding is encoded in their dna at that size and age. Just be patient! Feed daily and take out of enclosure to feed will help get used to being held very fast! Also what helped me with my stubborn reds was bring out side in a tub and let them enjoy natural sunlight and also at night. The more time you spend with them the better! And sooner they realize your not a threat! But that age just being outside of the enclosure and them seeing you helps. They need to get familiar with you. Also in a safe environment I let mine out where they wouldnt get stuck under things and ect like a bathroom and just sit on ground reading or on phone kinda ignoring them and eventually they get curious and will come to you. Or hide under your legs if crossed

Mikee1975

Thank you for the advice . Shes hot and cold. Sometimes I put my hand in and she climbs on it and I take her outlet her run around the counter . She always runs up my arm and I cant reach her . Sometimes I put my hand next to her and she just runs in her hide like I'm a mass murderer lol. I know she has it in her to trust and I know I have to be patient I just read and see all these things that make me feel like I'm doing something wrong by not rushing her . I started taking her out to to feed her but I think shes just to curious about where she is . I know it will take time . I'm not going anywhere and shes not . Just want her to trust me before she gets 4 ft lol. Thanks again.

Dylan koch

If you continue to work with her everyday she will. But tegus have minds of their own my angel Celesi my pure blue 100% get female is my best behaved and spends the most time with me. But recently has been acting more moody. By ignoring me not wanting to be held so much or cuddles and pets. She just wants to explore and dig in ground squire burrows. But tegu go through multiple moody stages throught adult hood and can be yearly as well in breeding season. Just a heads up. And know more time spent will make stuff go faster but DO NOT FORCE IT! It can leave a bad impression and make it take alot longer. All it can take is 1 accident or mishap to set your hard work back a ton!! But if your tegu isnt showing aggression like puffing,tail whipping or lunging your on the right path. Eventually your hard work will pay off! My tegus can easily take over 4 hours a day of my time. When I take them outside every morning and night for awhile since I have 4 and only come out in pairs. My blues and reds. And daily maintenance water changes, misting and ect. Plus petings.

Mikee1975

If you continue to work with her everyday she will. But tegus have minds of their own my angel Celesi my pure blue 100% get female is my best behaved and spends the most time with me. But recently has been acting more moody. By ignoring me not wanting to be held so much or cuddles and pets. She just wants to explore and dig in ground squire burrows. But tegu go through multiple moody stages throught adult hood and can be yearly as well in breeding season. Just a heads up. And know more time spent will make stuff go faster but DO NOT FORCE IT! It can leave a bad impression and make it take alot longer. All it can take is 1 accident or mishap to set your hard work back a ton!! But if your tegu isnt showing aggression like puffing,tail whipping or lunging your on the right path. Eventually your hard work will pay off! My tegus can easily take over 4 hours a day of my time. When I take them outside every morning and night for awhile since I have 4 and only come out in pairs. My blues and reds. And daily maintenance water changes, misting and ect. Plus petings.
I really appreciate the help I really do and its great advice.She never shows aggression. She wont let me pick her up yet but she will climb on my hand . Then I will take her out . I think she is starting to get that not gonna hurt her . Shes went from scared **** to cautious. The take her out to feed is a great idea . Definately an explorer. I have to get used to her signals just she has her used to me . I appreciate the help . She is my first tegu I have a ton of other reptiles but a tegu was always what I wanted. I've been planning it for years and still not prepared. I think she also needs to get a little bigger shes tiny a little more confident . Crossing my fingers .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980