• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Monitor recommendation?

G

I've recently been looking into getting a monitor lizard. I've had experience with lizards so im not new to researching care and noticing problems and what not. I'm looking for one that gets roughly 3-3 1/2ft, as i can only house something that can fit in a 6x3x3 and i don't want to get an awesome lizard and have to cram it in there. I'd feel bad :(. But yeah roughly that size and i would like it to be handleable. Doesn't have to be "tame" persay but i would like to take it out and hold it every other day or so. I would like a slender monitor so NO SAVS! lol. If you have previous ownership of something let me hear your opinion on it and be as honest as possible, no trickery!

G

yeah ive been looking into dumerils. ackies are just too small and flighty for my taste though :/

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A timor monitor could ok in that size, or a yellow monitor. Look into more arboral speices they stay slender and need less space.

G

I was also looking into Argus. They reach a size that I like and thet cage i would need isn't that much bigger. Opinions?

skippy

5 Year Member
how would an argus not require more cage space? they are one of the more active species you can get and need a lot of roaming space. they're also pretty flighty, if ackies aren't your thing i doubt you'd like an argus any better.

G

I was sayin i didn't like ackies cause of how small they are. And i was reading care sheets that say argus can live in an enclosure that 8x4x4 i.e. not that much bigger than a 6x3x3 so i would just have to build the 8ft one. and even then i would still take him out often for supervised free roam time

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just keep in mine that in a min cage requirement, argus monitors are very very active monitors. Campared to dog breeds where lets say a tegu is a lab, good natured and relativly easy going once they hit 2 years of age. An Argus is the Jack Russel of the dog world, always needing somthing to do, never claims down, but it the right had can make a great pet. It might not seem like that big of a differance in cage size but you'll be surpised of just how big that really is. Lay out foot by foot tiles and place them so mark out an 8x4 space and you'll see just how much room that is. I dont want to scare you away from them i just want to make sure you know what you are getting into. Also think of the heating and lighting that goes into a cage that big. One light isn't going to be good enough, and the average UV bulb at petco is not going to work. The cleaning and the bedding, these guys love to dig and climb and who can forget their signature tripoding behavior which is very cool.

I loved my Argus to death and was bummed to have to re-home him when i moved to college. But after haveing a tegu i don't think there another big lizard that could be so easy and rewarding. maybe when i have a house and i can build outdoor enclousers i will get another one.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Although not a monitor... have you considered a female Arg B&W Tegu? It seems to fit all of your 'requirements' pretty well....

G

i just saw this on a argus monitor care sheet,doesnt seem right to me.
'There is no reason to spend the money on those pet shop bulbs, that is money best used to buy more mice/rats(you will need them) GE 50 watt spots will give you a nice Basking spot temp and also heat you enclosure very well.'
and
Temps need to be discussed in two parts, first the basking temp(temps on the surface of the basking site) these temps with the above mentioned bulbs will reach the optimal ranges with a height of 6-10 inches. The ideal basking temps should be between 150-165.
Now part two just as important is the ambient temp(the overall temp thoughout the enclosure)ambient temps should range from 95-100 on the hot side down to 75-80 on the cool side. This will give you monitor the choice to find the temps where he/she is most comfortable. We can provide our captive animals with very little of what they should have or need but we can give them choices to make themselves alittle more at ease.
Humidity is also important Keep the humidity up around 60-65% this will allow for ease when sheding and keep the skin well hydrated.
first one is about ubv and lighting and the second one is lighting and temps.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
while monitors dont seem tos suffer from MBD as badly as tegus from a lack of UVB, i would still use a UVB bulb on a growing monitor. But for heat a 50 watt spot from 5 to 10 inches could spell disaster, for the animal and you home. This is an animal that can get 4 feet long and tripod to stand about 2 to 3 feet tall, why would you put the bulb only 5 to 10 inches from the ground. They also jump. You really should use about a 150watt bulb from the top the cage with a bulb guard.

G

Thanks for the info Chelvis! i already knew most of it but im glad to see that people on this forum make sure people know what they're getting into. And yeah i do have the space for a cage. I know that you will need multiple bulbs to cover SVL so he's got a proper basking spot. And about the tegus, they seem cool and all but just not my type ya know? I want an argus because I want something that will be active and not just just sit there most of the time. From what I've read they can become "outside interactable" which to me means i can have him out of the cage walking around me and climbing on me and maybe be able to scratch his back etc.
What your guys opinion on the "outside interactive-ness" of the argus?

skippy

5 Year Member
Be ready to bleed when dealing with an adult argus out of it's cage. I have not seen one that was friendly but they are good eaters ;)

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol Skippy has it down right. If you work with them everyday they will be come tolerant of human handling, much like a water monitor but don't expect it to want to be petted or a lap cat, these guys are like sports cars, once they are out they are looking for somthing to get into. Mine managed to make a nice home inside the engin compartment of my dads truck when i took my eye off him too long when cleaning his cage.

G

Wow! lol thats quite a story.ive heard of peoples pet snakes in the car engines but not monitors lol. but yeah i would ljust like to let him out and explore my room and just kinda watch him to his thing with out him going on a spazz attack everytime i move. so how old were you when you got yours?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I got him when i was 15, he was a gift from a friend so not something i was expecting. I used part of the garge to house him once he out grew the 4x2x2 cage i had in my room. He was a cool monitor but my parents were not going to look after something that big and not to friendly while i went to college and i dont think i could have gotten away with him in my dorm. Funny now my mom is cool with looking after my tegus though... could be because he doesnt rush the door mouth open every feeding time.

G

Darn that sucks :/. I think I am going to end up getting one. I'll sacrifice handlability for and active intelligent animal. I'm still gonna do lots more research before i do get one though just to make sure it'll be ok to get. Are there any articles, caresheet, information pages etc. that you recommend I take a look at?

Beazer

5 Year Member
I agree with Chelvis, go with a Timor or get a pair of Timors. Similis might work good in there, but I cant remember if they require more height. Ackies are cute, but im a pure freak and I dont trust Ackies blood in the US lol.

-Jon DeLong

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced