• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Monitor hunt

montana

On the computer just now MSNBC has a story about a nile monitor hunt in Florida ..

I think it will be interesting to see how it works out for them ...

Having hunted once or twice before I can`t think of anything more challenging!!! Yeh they show up in yards from time to time but just try to eradicate them ..

Could make it somewhat hard to ban them as pets when there is one under every bush [two under big bushes ]...

It also will be a good indicator as weather populations of similar reptiles in there natural environments can be affected by the pet trade or by hunting for food or skins ...[/align]

jumper123

I saw that! Sounds ridiculous I just watched python hunters and they talked about how it's mostly hurricanes fault that all these animals are lose. (stupid owners too of course but lots of hurricanes)

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hopefully no one gets hurt, monitor included. It makes me so sad! These animals aren't doing anything wrong, they're just acting naturally and following their instincts.

Maybe they wont find any, then they wont get hurt lololol

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hahah could you imagine seeing one of those things come through a doggie door?

I hope that they make it quick for the ones that they do find. I think its our (people in general) fault for having them as pets and either setting them free ourselves or natural disasters doing it for us. Too bad they can't go relocate them somewhere lol.

montana

Things happen ...

Like I said before Robins are an invasive species ..

How about cows and horses maybe Wheat ???

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are they letting just anyone hunt them or do you have to have a permit.

Recently there have been a couPle post on craigslist her in Vegas of people that have had reptiles escape. One was a yellow monitor and the other was a rhino iguana this past weekend. I don't think either could survive long here, but it just shows the level of responsibility with some keepers.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You do know they are required by state law to kill every one they catch? Pythons too.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I thought the folks that go out and have permits can keep a couple. There was a Burmese on one of the shows they caught and the guy said he was keeping it but the rest they would have to turn in.

The reptile rescue guy they use on animal cops,.. not the skinny one that usually catches alligators but the other heavy set guy. They have caught quite a few animals on the show that they kept,.. tegus included.

But,.. again that's probably just for them since they have the permits to keep them.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
is it random people killing them or is it 'trained professionals'

montana

If it`s anything like around here if they arn`t on a list of protected or game animals any one can go out at any time and take them any way [traps ,lights, dogs,ect ] .

That being said good luck !!! Iv`e been looking for a month for a rubber boa [not all that uncommon ] and I have come to the realization I may never find another ..

A person dosn`t understand unless they try it what a task finding just one would be ...

Sure you can go out and find snakes and alligators [because there are millions of them ] but just try to find a white alligator ..

I would guess the ones they do catch are the ones they least need to [worry ]about recently released pets less than a mile from where they were released...

If they are in the swamp breeding they will never stop them ...

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They aren't necessarily in the swampy areas. They have been on the Sw coast for years. I guess now they have been spotted in West Palm Beach and Miami/Ft Lauderdale. The biggest concern is that they have the potential to get into nesting bird areas. We have a lot of migratory birds. Now habitat destruction is a always a bigger issue, but I bet a few Niles could wipe out some eggs pretty easily.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As far as I know, by law they must be killed in Florida.

http://myfwc.com/license/wildlife/nonnative-species/python-permit-program/

There are several ways people can help out with python issues. The FWC issues Python Removal Permits. The Python Removal Program is a permit program that allows Floridians to capture Burmese pythons and other conditional reptiles on four Wildlife Management Areas (Everglades and Francis S. Taylor WMA, Holey Land WMA, Rotenberger WMA and Southern Glades WEA) in South Florida.

Permittees must qualify for the permit and report data on captured pythons to the FWC. Also, licensed hunters may harvest pythons on four WMAs (Everglades and Francis S. Taylor WMA, Holey Land WMA, Rotenberger WMA and Big Cypress WMA) during established hunting seasons.

Hunting Pythons
During established hunting seasons, licensed hunters can remove pythons and other conditional reptiles (snakes and lizards) from Everglades and Francis S. Taylor WMA, Rotenberger WMA, Holey Land WMA and Big Cypress WMA. To participate in removing pythons during established hunting seasons, a hunting license and wildlife management area permit are required by state rule and statute, plus any additionally required licenses or stamps, depending on the season (muzzeloading permit, quota hunt permit, duck stamp, etc.).

While not required, FWC encourages hunters to report all harvested pythons. Reports can be made online or by calling, toll-free, 866-392-4286. Conditional reptiles such as pythons must be euthanized by hunters on site. Hunters may sell the hide and meat (Note: Burmese pythons from Everglades National Park have been found to have very high levels of mercury and may not be recommended for human consumption), thus providing a type of "bounty."

WMA Seasons and Regulations
Identify Pythons
Python Permit Program
FWC issues python permits for capturing pythons on Everglades and Francis S. Taylor WMA, Rotenberger WMA and Holey Land WMAa outside hunting season. Python permit holders may capture conditional reptiles any time outside hunting season and between sunset and sunrise during hunting season.

Those with the permit are authorized to search for and remove pythons. Permit holders may sell the hide and meat (Note: Burmese pythons from Everglades National Park have been found to have very high levels of mercury and may not be recommended for human consumption), thus providing a type of "bounty."

All conditional reptiles may be taken under this permit.

Firearms and traps may not be used. The snakes can be captured by hand, with nets or snares. Pythons may be euthanized onsite by approved means, deposited at a location for euthanizing by a veterinarian, or transported to an approved facility to be used in research.

All python removal permits expire Dec. 31 each year.

Frequently Asked Questions

Applicant Requirements:
Be Florida resident
Possess a digital camera and a GPS unit
Have experience capturing wild snakes
Have experience handling large constrictors
Be knowledgeable about proper and humane methods of euthanizing reptiles
Have experience working in remote areas
Permit Requirements:
Photograph and mark GPS locations of captured snakes
Photograph and describe stomach contents of euthanized snakes
File reports with the FWC within 36 hours of capture
Make at least five trips each calendar quarter
Visit each of 4 wildlife management units at least twice during the year
How to apply
Application
Pilot Phase Summary Report (158KB)
Python collecting trip report form (580KB) (for python permit-holders only)
Trip Reporting Form Instructions (for permit-holders only)
Burmese Python Information
Burmese pythons in Florida

montana

laurarfl said:
They aren't necessarily in the swampy areas. They have been on the Sw coast for years. I guess now they have been spotted in West Palm Beach and Miami/Ft Lauderdale. The biggest concern is that they have the potential to get into nesting bird areas. We have a lot of migratory birds. Now habitat destruction is a always a bigger issue, but I bet a few Niles could wipe out some eggs pretty easily.

I take it they don`t have birds in those animals natural environments...

All eaten by the reptiles...

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
^I'm quite sure there are birds in a Nile Monitor's native environment. But those birds have spent millions of years evolving to deal with that threat and have learned nesting practices to avoid them...

But that same formable predator introduced to an environment that has not evolved to avoid a predator with those honed skills... can easily cause a disturbance to the balance of things...

That is the basis of the concern of invasive species…

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced