• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mold!

Johnnys Mama

I found what looks like cobweb like mold in Johnnys enclosure today. Surrounding moss on the cool side. My substrate is 1.1.1 org topsoil, play sand and peat moss. How do I eradicate that?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I don't have any topsoil in my enclosures for that reason. Not sure if that's causing the prob - it could be that your humidifier is working overtime? I'm completely changing my whole thought about substrate..... does he have a nice sized hide?

One other thing - sphagnum moss can contain bacteria/dust if left exposed for too long. It's usually clean when you purchase it, but can develop micro-organisms if it's old, or sitting around awhile. Could it be a web from spider mites?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maybe a little more ventilation where the mold is forming if possible...... Be careful though as its a fine balance and more ventilation means more heat and humidity escaping effecting your whole set up

Dylan koch

I don't have any topsoil in my enclosures for that reason. Not sure if that's causing the prob - it could be that your humidifier is working overtime? I'm completely changing my whole thought about substrate..... does he have a nice sized hide?

One other thing - sphagnum moss can contain bacteria/dust if left exposed for too long. It's usually clean when you purchase it, but can develop micro-organisms if it's old, or sitting around awhile. Could it be a web from spider mites?
Spagnum naturally has and helps with killing harmful bacteria and ect

Godzilla Earth

Maybe a little more ventilation where the mold is forming if possible...... Be careful though as its a fine balance and more ventilation means more heat and humidity escaping effecting your whole set up
I've heard that the perfect amount is 1/3 of the cage being ventilated but thats just what i heard.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced