• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Misc Qs on tegus in outdoor enclosures

dorton

5 Year Member
I am curious if anyone has had problems with Brids of Prey on tegus in outdoor enclosures? Around here we have lots of Red Tailed Hawks that have been known to go after small fury friends. When I am outside letting my snake slither through the grass I constantly watch the sky for a possible attack.
I also am worried about dogs possibly. Does everyone or anyone screen the tops also?
I want to build something in my back yard next year,
and I want it to be big enough for a small tegu community(2 now, but probably 2 more next year).
I have plans of using some large rocks for basking areas, pompas grass etc, and thought about a small pond also.
Suggestions ??

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have never had any problems with anything coming into my enclosures that could hurt my tegus. I have turnout lots and never had any problems with raptors at all.

As for dogs, I have mine in a 6ft privacy fence, there is no way for the dogs to get in. A cat could, but I doubt he would want to stay long. :twisted: :lol: My babies all have tops on their cages; there is no way for anything to get to them.

nat

5 Year Member
I don't know if I would worry too terribly about red tails and a larger tegu. I know eagles in my area take people's cats and small dogs but I have never heard of red tails giving anyone problems. Plus it seems to me that most birds of prey stick fairly close to what they know to be food and unless there are other species of large lizards roaming around providing them with food, they wouldn't likely target a tegu.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602