• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mega ray 100 watt sb UVB bulb test.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Here is the mega ray 100 watt mercury vapor bulb,they were suppose to send me a 160 watt but no big deal it will work.So i let the bulb warm up for a half hr and my reading were as followed starting at 12'' to to 20'' below.With pictures enjoy.:)
12''-480mw
16''303mw
18''212mw
20''172mw
teguboy77 said:
Here is the mega ray 100 watt mercury vapor bulb,they were suppose to send me a 160 watt but no big deal it will work.So i let the bulb warm up for a half hr and my reading were as followed starting at 12'' to to 20'' below.With pictures enjoy.:)
12''-480mw
16''303mw
18''212mw
20''172mw
Wow what a difference between solar glo 160 watt and mega ray looks like mega ray blew it out of the water hands down and both bulbs are brand new.:)

teguboy77 said:
12''-480mw
16''303mw
18''212mw
20''172mw
Wow what a difference between solar glo 160 watt and mega ray looks like mega ray blew it out of the water hands down and both bulbs are brand new.:)

teguboy77

5 Year Member
No dont have a powersun sorry lol,but think ill stick with mega ray for now on just my opinion or go with a powersun i used powersun before a couple of years ago they seem good too.:)

Months darn,they sent me a 100 watt i payed for a 160 watt even though there the same price just wanted the extra heat of the 160 watt sorry to hear you've been waiting a couple of months darn.:-/

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I might buy one soon just bought a mega ray and have a brand new back up solar glo,but might just buy another bulb soon a power sun to see i'll post the reading when i do.:)

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Hey you know what i dont mind helping people out so there not spending there good hard earned money on uvb bulbs that aren't doing there job for our reptiles.Plus i think anybody who ownes reptiles that need uvb that are housed inside should bye a solar meter cause i was surprised how much uvb the mega ray put out even from 20'',and even when i did a screen test at 20'' i still got 105mw.So i'm sticking with mega ray just my opinion and what my solar meter showed it don't lie lol.;)[/align]

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's why I was posting info about the Solar Glo. I just don't want someone to buy a bulb and then find out it was crappy and their tegu gets sick. The best thing would be for the bulb issue to just get resolved.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah i contacted solar glo and they never got back to me abot there bulbs and the low uvb,but now i tested it myself and the solar meter dont lie there uvb put out is low sorry to say just my opinion and not just a guess what i read on my solar meter.

RobK.

i will be getting rid of my solar glow that i have in the secound basking area for my rhino, and get mega ray or another powersun asap .

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah it a shame cause people without a solar meter dont know that they might want to spend the extra money on the mega ray or powersun,solar glo doesn't put out that much uvb and think about it when it starts to decay it even less uvb,they all decay but solar glo already having low uvb only means below 50 mw real fast.My reptisun 10.0 at 16'' put out 63mw of uvb and thats better than solar glow lol.But good idea to go with another powersun.:)

RaeMarie518

I love the mega ray bulbs. They shut off if it gets to hot & if there is a power loss they will cool off before turning back on. I use them for my bearded dragons, chinese water dragons, and my Columbian Tegu. All of my animals have become more active and eat better vs tube florescent UV lights & basking lamps. & Its so much easier to have one cord in place of two!

teguboy77

5 Year Member
I've honestly like the mega ray mercury vapor bulbs the best,i just bought a 30 Watt - T12 – 36inch Full Spectrum Fluorescent to go with mine along with my 100 watt sb mega ray,and my 150 watt basking bulb.Another thing i suggest is getting a solar meter 6.2 to use on your uvb bulbs a great item for checking your uvb output.:)

RobK.

teguboy77 said:
I've honestly like the mega ray mercury vapor bulbs the best,i just bought a 30 Watt - T12 – 36inch Full Spectrum Fluorescent to go with mine along with my 100 watt sb mega ray,and my 150 watt basking bulb.Another thing i suggest is getting a solar meter 6.2 to use on your uvb bulbs a great item for checking your uvb output.:)

my new florescent fixture only use T8 tubes . I wonder if the Sunlight full spectrum T8 48 '' 5000k tubes i got from Lowes are ok . I have one next to a 10.0 zoo-med in his cage at the moment as fill in, as they recommend on Reptile UV site . They do recommend two full spectrum bulbs , but it looked too bright . So i have one next to the zoo-med 10.0

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Not sure about the florescent bulb you got from lowes will work,hell if they do i'll be getting my next florescent bulb from there lol,yeah i'm going to use one florescent bulb and my mega ray and see how one works.I too am going to try what reptile uv said.Its it bright with just one florescent bulb in there.

got10

i sell both the mega ray and the power sun bulbs . And I love the results . I just preburn my lights for 24hrs prior to using them in my cages

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
got10 said:
i sell both the mega ray and the power sun bulbs . And I love the results . I just preburn my lights for 24hrs prior to using them in my cages

Where do you sell them?

RobK.

i got mine today and on the box '' suggested distance 30 cm '' but 30 cm = 11.81 inches. if your readings are right that would be way tooo much . Is yours a wide beem Solar Raptor 100w MVB ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam