• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Meet Tumbleweed

MissJillian

SO I met up with a friend at the Northwest Reptile Expo, in Portland OR. It was my first expo, and it was a blast! I spied two male tegus (one red, one b&w) and a b&w female. Cute little dinosaurs!

Anyway, my friend came home with me to stay for a couple weeks, bringing along her 23 tarantulas. No, that's not a typo, she really brought 23 Ts to stay in my small apartment. (don't tell the leasing office! haha)

While she stayed with me, she helped me order a tarantula for my very own! A 6" female G. Pulchripes that came in the mail on the 25th. We had her shipped to a different address, of course. heh can you imagine the girls in the leasing office stumbling upon that package?

Ladies and gentlemen of TeguTalk, I present to you: Tumbleweed
286941_239490819426440_100000965712296_625407_6249464_o.jpg

jerobi2k

gonna be honest here, Spiders scare me to death! lol, I have 2 gUs 3ft and larger. but I cant stand spiders, I work outside in south FL. and believe me I see my share :/ it looks really awsome though, Im glad some people are brave enough to be keepers of these awsome creatures! best of luck with your baby, and great pic. btw :D

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jerobi2k said:
gonna be honest here, Spiders scare me to death!

With you 100% on that.

Glad you enjoyed the expo! I loved the tegus! I was told that red one was 9 years old, good to see that with proper care they can become grumpy old men. :p
Gorgeous T. Though, I would probably freak if I saw it anywhere near me lol.

new2tegus

I will say that's a gorgeous spider, but I could never keep them. I know it sounds odd, but having a lizard bite me sounds better than watching something plunge those fangs in, I'm not scared of them, I've held many, just couldn't keep them.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nice pickup! I had quite a few spiders but over time I just became too sensitive to their hairs and had to find homes for them. I still have a post ultimate L. parahybana though, he's finishing out his life in peace and quiet. :)

MissJillian

Thanks everyone! I've always been fond of creepy crawlies. I'll even admit, my boyfriend has made me squish spiders for him before! Honestly, I live with three guys, and none of them want to get too close to her. All of my female friends are interested in her, and want to touch and hold her. Maybe it's because we can see the "cute" in her. hmm.

She's the sweetest little girl. Out of all of the tarantulas I've handled, I've never experienced one with such a big personality. She stands on her tippy toes, so she's prickly when she walks. (why her name is tumbleweed) Her little claws sometimes get snagged on things and I have to help her out. She'll also try to stand on as few legs as possible, slowly lifting up a random leg and keeping it there. It's not like the defensive position, it's more like what an impatient toddler will do in line at the grocery store, waving any limb they can get away with. She's also pretty active for what I've heard about pulchripes. She was crawling on my head yesterday.

jdpFL

Beautiful spider! And john, that's the one we want next...the species you have. We have seven now....it's an addiction, lol.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
23 spiders?! It's like Arachnophobia 2. That one you got is really pretty and it's a great pic. I honestly prefer snakes and lizards, but as long as you love 'em then everything works out. :)

Logie_Bear

Baw, what a cutie! And that's a really fabulous shot of her. Love the yarn ball. xD
I went to my first show about a year ago and had my first tarantula encounter there. Soon as I held one for the first time, I was smitten! Walked out with a beautiful rosehair who is very originally named Rosie. :D I've always wanted to have an aviculara versicolor tho.....

MissJillian

I don't take credit for any of these pictures, as they were taken by my friend AshLee. She's the one with 23 tarantulas.

Let me see if I can find a list of hers...
Ah here we go:
A. Geniculata (Slenderman)
A. Avicularia (Misdreavus the Misfortunate);
A. Versicolor (Deumore);
B. Albopilosum (Opossum);
B. Boehmei x3; (Granger); (Lavadore)
B. Smithi x3;
B. Vagans x2;
C. Cyaneopubescens x2;
G. Pulchra (Abigail);
G. Pulchripes;
G. Rosea (2); (Faire Tease); (Creech)
L. Parahybana x2; (Behr);
N. Chromatus x2;
P. Regalis;

Here's some more pictures of Tumbleweed for you!
tumblr_lqkbj4s6Ua1r072a1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_lqkr1wTUwv1r072a1o1_500.jpg

tumblr_lqkew5r5Gn1r072a1o1_500.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam