• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Meet Nico from Spain (Baby salvator merianae)

RealPythonid

Good day everyone!

Im glad to show you my tegu NICO:tegu:. I´ve been looking for it more than 5 months (Here, in Spain, is quite dificult to find)

Its a baby Salvator Merianae, 1 month old more or less and arrived 23th of june (less than 1 week ago).

He is extremely scared, stays buried between 16 PM and 09AM, and the rest of the day he takes sunbath

Im a little bit worried becouse he is not eating at all.
Day 1, No feeding
Day 2 , offered chicken heart pieces (not interested)
Day 3 ,trout and boiled quail egg (eat the trout)
Day 4, 2 crickets (eat just 1)
Day 5, chicken heart pieces (not interested)
Day 6, 2 crickets (eat just 1)
Today, 4 crickets (not interested)

The terrarium size is 120X60X60 cm
Temperature 100º spot place, Solar raptor 35w / 28 all the terrarium.

Any advice to get ahead of this little one ?

Im not interacting too much with him, I wanted to wait the first week for him to acclimatize ...

Nice to meet you,

Isma
Tegu 1.jpg
nico.jpg
Tegu 1.jpg
nico.jpg
IMG_20200625_201706.jpg
IMG_20200625_141513.jpg
IMG_20200630_192117.jpg

Last edited:

rantology

Welcome and congrats!

Does he have a hide? And only thing I can suggest is maybe bump the basking temp to 110 degrees. Try leaving the food in a little bowl for him, he may be too nervous to eat with you around.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Rant about basking spot - Nico's a little beauty that is actually eating, where some don't touch food at all for several days, or weeks. It's the biggest concern/surprise when people get Tegus. I'm not sure if he's too small for pinkies, (frozen/thawed mice) but those are hard for them to resist! I like the idea of setting food out so Nico knows it's there, and then leaving Nico alone with it.

All Tegus need a hide...it grows trust, and gives them the perception of being protected.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome, Nico. Debita and Rant have shared solid advice. Be patient and persistent. Talk to him, and make sure his hide has a recently worn shirt of yours. Adelante!

RealPythonid

I'm so Happy, this little Guy today has eaten 4 big adult crickets and 2 small pieces of banana.

The terrarium has got a cave, but i thing for the moment Nico prefer to dig his own haha.
I'll be patient with him. Thank you so much.
And i'll reach the basking temp to 110 for sure. Yo are the definitivr Tegu enciclopede.☺

Thank you so much!!!!!

By the way, do you think I should worry about what I tell in this post?

I'll put new photos in the first post. (Terrarium and 24h spy cam catching him eating)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makit5744