• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

May have been asked already but difference between red b&w and blues?

Ruby

I have been looking into tegus and plan on adding one to my collection in the next few weeks, the only “issue” I’ve ran into isn’t deciding between Reds blues and b&ws. I am lucky enough to have two reptile shops within 30 minutes of me (Dfw reptarium and the serpentarium Texas) I have asked Both what the main differences are. From what they have said is: blues stay smaller reaching 3 1/2 max and have a harder humidity range. reds get bigger reaching 5 feet max and also get bigger jowls they are also harder to tame. Black and whites are mid size getting about 4 1/2 max Andy get mid size jowls they aren’t the easiest to tame. I’ve also heard it’s just us the colors that separate them? Is what’s I’m hearing true or so it all wrong? I just want to make sure I don’t end up with a tegu that’s doesn’t fit my collection.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd say generally reds are larger and harder to tame.
I'd say generally blues and B&Ws are about the same in size and tameness.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Reds are the species Salvator rufescens and live exclusively in the southern "arm" of South America (southern Brasil, Uruguay, northern Argentina, Paraguay). Field studies of gut content analysis would indicate this species has a greater vegetative content to their diet than the other species (sometimes up to 80% content). These tend to be the bigger tegu species.
Black & whites are the species Salvator merianae and exist through pretty much most (all?) of South America east of the Andes. In having such an extensive range, they have a huge range of characteristics. Following Bergmann's rule, those populations nearer to the equator tend to be comprised of smaller individuals, those populations closer to the South pole tend to be comprised of larger individuals (while reds in general are the larger tegus, I think the record holders belong to certain populations of black and white and is the reason in some of the old scientific literature they are referred to as the "giant tegu" - this has nothing to do with the invented Chacoan giant/extreme). "Blues" are a subset of S.merianae that really evidence supports that it only amount to a particular look. Some stay small, some do not. Some seem more docile, but I've read many an account from keepers that theirs were not.
In general, they have a lot of similarities between them. Taming comes down more to the individual and their experiences than it does the species.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam