• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Marine paint and varnish to seal enclosure

ToadHallBetty

Has anyone used boat deck paint to seal the inside of a Tegu inclosure?

I'm looking at Duralux Marine paint and varnish. It's nontoxic when dry and comes in a number of colors and finishes. I'm also considering the type of fiberglass resin used to make wooden aquariums, but that seems like overkill to me.
Thanks for any insights or suggestions.

ToadhallBetty

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If it's advertised as non toxic that might be ok but I'd proceed with caution because if it's NOT non-toxic that could be a very sad and expensive experiment. I would try a little tester first. Paint the inside of a box with the stuff. Let it cure and dry and see how it smells and feels after that.

ToadHallBetty

Good idea, I looked the up the materials list, mineral spirits is the only toxic ingredient and it leaves as the paint dries. It seems as long as one stays away from bottom paint, it's okay. But no worries, I will contact the company and make sure it's non-toxic before it gets anywhere near little buddy or anyone else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced