• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Marbled crawfish as a food

got10

I feed my Gu's craw-fish and other inverts as part of the foraging enrichment for their mental health.Unfortunately where I live craw fish are a bit on the expensive side unless you get them at a bait shop . I dont want them to get parasites like fluke worms. so i freeze everything for at least a week prior to feeding
The question I have is , does or has anyone fed the marbled craw-fish to they're animals. I see they are as easy to breed as roaches So i know ill have an excess of them .But don't know if they are nutritionally sound for Gu's or not. Any info on this would be great . Thanks

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Crustaceans are very closely related to insects, so I would imagine they're a healthy snack. I know plenty of people feed their tegus shrimp, although Kodo doesn't seem to like it. Do you keep the shell on?

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
http://youtu.be/TQyCoRrB554

I use crayfish live as an enrichment for my blue tegu, he loves looking for them in the enclosure. I have a friend who has some marbled crawfish and when he is overloaded with them he gives me a few. I have not tried them with my caiman lizard yet. As with any food item its all about varity, I would not use them as a main stable of a diet but a treat now and then does not hurt.

got10

I always keep shell on when i feed . Anything I feed i try to keep it as close to nature as I can. I have ALWAYS kept them guessing what the next type of food they will get is. Whatever food that is in season is the food they get at that time . The main meat source is actually entrails rabbit guts chicken heads feet quail eggs ,duck eggs (when available) chicken necks ,gizzards,beef heart ( til that jumped to 6.29 lb)asst fruit veggies fish of all kinds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980