• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Males Beardies And There Black Beards

Dragon_girl

5 Year Member
okay i got a qeastion, about male beardies and there black beards oviously :)P)
how do they get so black? Becuse ryus is black if you look really close at the skin between the scales on his beard. But alot of pics i see of males there beards are pitch black. I mean am i doing some thing wrong that he dosent got pitch black beard? And another then i seen videos of beardies head bobbing and waving he has never done any of that.... okay that should cover most of it.
-mel
PICT0199.jpg

p.s. this was tooken in sept but its not much diff just a bit more orange

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
You're doing just fine. They puff their beard out and it goes black(probably because of the scales streatching out thus uncovering the black) when they are agrevated or trying to impress a femal. The only time I've ever witnessed Splinter head bob was when I was taking care of a friends male beardie. I took friends beardie out to hold him and he went nuts. His beard was black as could be and he was doing a lot of showing off. After about 20-30 minutes Splinter started right along(although not for long) his beard also wasn't all that black either, and when he must have just been really bored. He was eating his food puffed out his beard and just started headbobbing

Alex

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
Like I said only seen Splinter do it twice and I just love how dark they actually can get. It's too bad I've never been able to get a pik

wilomn

5 Year Member
Dragon_girl said:
okay i got a qeastion, about male beardies and there black beards oviously :)P)
how do they get so black? Becuse ryus is black if you look really close at the skin between the scales on his beard. But alot of pics i see of males there beards are pitch black. I mean am i doing some thing wrong that he dosent got pitch black beard? And another then i seen videos of beardies head bobbing and waving he has never done any of that.... okay that should cover most of it.
-mel
PICT0199.jpg

p.s. this was tooken in sept but its not much diff just a bit more orange

The dragon in the pic looks like a female, though it's tough to tell for certain from the angle it's shot at.

Males do the head bobbing and the black beard thing as a sign of dominance and a call to mate. IF your male is intimidated or not ready to go with the ladies, even if he is a male, he may not respond much if at all.

If he's an alpha, or thinks he is, he'll be right there, black for black, bob for bob.

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
Wilom u do have a point there isn't much color to this animals beard at all. Never really noticed that, but that can indicate a female. Quick question though how old is ryus?

Dragon_girl

5 Year Member
ryu will be 2 in feb and he is male Cheris from RR told me and some one else told me when i took a pic of his privates so did the breeder i got him from. he cant do the dominace thing becuse he is the only one i got you know. and like i said i see the black insbtween the scales just not. This pic was tooken a few months ago. I got him a new UVB light so theres some more color not alot. He has the uvb small fixture and bulb since i got him till last sept.
-mel

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
I certainly don't think you're doing anything wrong. He may just be a real mama's boy, and there's NOTHING wrong with that!

Some males do, and some males don't. That's the thing. Hey, I even had one male that waved at...get this...my females.

But then, I have one boy who won't pay a bit of attention to the female DRAGONS...but let me enter the room, and he's black and bobbing...particularly if the hubby is anywhere near, like he's going hey, that's MY woman!

They're all different, and that's the joy of them!

Dragon_girl

5 Year Member
oh, thanks,
mamas boy. he is and he knows it becuse he is the baby and gets the most attention (i spend more time feeding him, cleaning his cage, bathing him ect..)

what kind of bulb do you all use during winter to keep the temp up? i got a 150watt and it gets up to 100 but no higher and takes a long time to do that. i had a 150 flood light but that made it 120 but that was before it got too cold so im thinking maybe trying that one again when i get some moneyz...
-mel

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
You know, about the best heat bulbs I've ever found are from Home Depot and Lowe's. They're these halogen flood lights. They're absolutely huge, but they do a fantastic job.

I've got 2 cages with screen fronts and sides...and the AC vent blows right on them. These are the ONLY bulbs I've ever found that can do the job.

The nice thing too is that they save on your electric bill. What you would typically use a 100 watt light bulb to heat, you can get one of these halogen jobbies in a 40 watt. I believe they're made by Sylvania, and if I remember, they cost about $8 per bulb.

The other good news is that they last much longer than regular bulbs. I just replaced my first one, 2 years after the day it was installed. I'll see if I can find them online, so you can see what you're looking for.

Edit: Okay. This is NOT the one we use, but at least it gives you an idea what they look like.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bulbs.com/eSpec.aspx?ID=13297&Ref=Halogen+Bulbs&RefId=22&Ref2=Light+Bulbs">http://www.bulbs.com/eSpec.aspx?ID=1329 ... ight+Bulbs</a><!-- m -->

Dragon_girl

5 Year Member
ObsessionDragons said:
You know, about the best heat bulbs I've ever found are from Home Depot and Lowe's. They're these halogen flood lights. They're absolutely huge, but they do a fantastic job.

I've got 2 cages with screen fronts and sides...and the AC vent blows right on them. These are the ONLY bulbs I've ever found that can do the job.

The nice thing too is that they save on your electric bill. What you would typically use a 100 watt light bulb to heat, you can get one of these halogen jobbies in a 40 watt. I believe they're made by Sylvania, and if I remember, they cost about $8 per bulb.

The other good news is that they last much longer than regular bulbs. I just replaced my first one, 2 years after the day it was installed. I'll see if I can find them online, so you can see what you're looking for.

Edit: Okay. This is NOT the one we use, but at least it gives you an idea what they look like.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bulbs.com/eSpec.aspx?ID=13297&Ref=Halogen+Bulbs&RefId=22&Ref2=Light+Bulbs">http://www.bulbs.com/eSpec.aspx?ID=1329 ... ight+Bulbs</a><!-- m -->

do you mind if i ask where you live?Ã?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ?¬Å¡Ã?¬Ã?â?¦Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?¬
becuse i dont think that will work for me i got a 40watt halogn and it dident do crap.... right now i got a 150 in it and it does about 100 (more if its warm outside)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use the halogen floods with our Tegu's. A 75W halogen will get his basking spot in the mid 90's. A plain 75W incandescent bulb barely gets above 80. A 100W doesn't do much better. Halogen is the way to go.

Dragon_girl

5 Year Member
good for u guys, but i just cant waste money on some thing that dosent work out. ill just stick with my 150, if its a lil low its ok
-mrl

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dragon_girl said:
good for u guys, but i just cant waste money on some thing that dosent work out. ill just stick with my 150, if its a lil low its ok
-mrl
You're using twice as much electricity as you need to. That's no big deal if it's the only reptile you have but we've got whatever's in my sig and we have alot of bulbs for heat burning, some 24 hours a day.

We use 100W MegaRays with our Bearded Dragons (75G & 40G tanks) & supplement with 75W halogens when the weather was cooler last year but our Beardies are brumating this year so we're just using the MegaRay's.

Try a big 75W halogen flood and it'll probably put out as much heat as the 150W incandescent.

How far away from the bulb is he??

All_American

5 Year Member
As dave said, the mega ray 100W works great, I either use this or a 100W CHE for heat sorce. I regulate it with Helix DBS1000, so for those who don't know, it don't run at 100W at all times, the probe regulates the amperage to the heat emitter.

Dragon_girl

5 Year Member
where do u get the 75megaray? how much they cost? i do only got one rep, he was further away, but now he got giant brick, so closer his temps go from 95-105,
he was on this
PICT0259.jpg

now he is on this

PICT0047edited.jpg

sorry dun have full tank view

All_American

5 Year Member
Its a 100 Watt mega ray and you can get it from ReptileUv.com
The brick is a much better way for you to heat up the cage, its a bit large but works just the same, I use stepping stones you get at home depot or flag stone from work sites (scraps of course with permission)

Hope this helps you out some,
ED

Dragon_girl

5 Year Member
well ill see what i can do when i get the money, thanks! the brick is big and heavy... but it was all i could do at the time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced