• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Male or female?

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Alright, Xander is pretty big but I still see no spurs on him whatsoever. He was supposed to be male, but either way I still love him...or her? lol! About what size can I pretty much say male or female?

Mvskokee

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=279&highlight=spurs">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic ... ight=spurs</a><!-- m --> ok here is a link all about spurs on here

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A sure way to know is to look for the hemipenes to extend when defecate. With our big Red it's WAY obvious!! This guy is hung like a horse!! He goes every time I take him out, I gotta get a picture.

Our Supposed male Blue Tegu has spur buttons but I've never seen his hemipenes so I'm wondering. The Red was "courting" with both Blue Tegu's last weekend so either he knows something I don't know or he's just trying to get a piece and doesn't know the difference!

Kazzy

5 Year Member
What about pores? Do they all have them, male and female alike?

Yeah...let's hope that maybe he knows something you don't...lol

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Kazzy said:
Yeah...let's hope that maybe he knows something you don't...lol
It would be interesting to have (2) female Blues and not a pair. I'm just afraid the big Red might tear them apart. He's over 8 lbs and the others are 4 lbs. I'm still waiting to hear back from Bobby. Where is that guy???!!!

tupinambis

5 Year Member
Both males and females have pre-anal and femoral pores, there doesn't appear to be a consistent difference between the sexes concerning the pores.

Davedragon, if your tegu's hemipenes are everting all the time (ie. with each defecation), that ISN'T a good sign. Superficially, constant everting and repositioning of the hemipenes abrades the tissues and can very readily lead to infection or scar tissue forming. There are several possible reasons you are witnessing it this often. Sometimes everting the hemipenes is done as a threat display (which is strange because in many animals if another male is present they will often attack the hemipenes), sometimes it is related to diet that is causing the animal to unduly strain during defecation, or it could also be do to loss of control of the everting tissues. Hopefully it won't develop into a serious issue with your tegu before surgery is required.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tupinambis said:
Davedragon, if your tegu's hemipenes are everting all the time (ie. with each defecation), that ISN'T a good sign. Superficially, constant everting and repositioning of the hemipenes abrades the tissues and can very readily lead to infection or scar tissue forming. There are several possible reasons you are witnessing it this often. Sometimes everting the hemipenes is done as a threat display (which is strange because in many animals if another male is present they will often attack the hemipenes), sometimes it is related to diet that is causing the animal to unduly strain during defecation, or it could also be do to loss of control of the everting tissues. Hopefully it won't develop into a serious issue with your tegu before surgery is required.
Thanks. That's all we need is another Tegu with a health problem. :roll: This guy is very regular, going almost every day. He always goes when I take him out and I think he inverts every time. I've never seen him go in his enclosure. I've thought about him inverting and pulling in some cypress mulch.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam