• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Male + Male together?

Lochlan

I heard the other day that you could keep male tegus together if you have a big enough enclosure is this true? I have a young timid male black/white and am wondering if I could introduce a red I know with other lizards this would be a terrible idea but are tegus different?

Member1421

I heard the other day that you could keep male tegus together if you have a big enough enclosure is this true? I have a young timid male black/white and am wondering if I could introduce a red I know with other lizards this would be a terrible idea but are tegus different?
Search the forum for cohabitation.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would not try this. It's too risky. Way too risky.
Just letting them "meet" is risky enough. Someone's guaranteed to get hurt if you keep them together.

Lochlan

But he does have a couple of anole lizards he does just fine with... so I guess out side of that there should be no co habitation?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I wish Walter1 was back - he has had 3 Tegus cohabiting and added new younger ones to the adult family without any probs. Rodney Irwin keeps his Florida rescues all together in one place (watched it on video) and also had no probs. I thought it wasn't a problem. (Need more information to be positive). Other lizards can't have males kept together, but you could always call Rodney about his lizards. His number is (305) 772-8140

IrieRogue

I know cohabitation amongst females or one male to one or more females is generally fine, but two males is not recommendable. While it may work for some individuals, you are greatly increasing the odds for disaster (tail nipping, fights, critical injury). You would also need a VERY large amount of space to decrease these odds, because males are particularly territorial. Maybe you could introduce a female?

Lochlan

That is a consideration but I think that I'll just stick with my one male, I over heard a couple of people talking about it and just had to ask you guys because I have never heard such before nor did I think was a good idea

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced