1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

Ludwig and I just joined!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by Ali peirce, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

Hey everybody! I need help sexing my Red Tegu?

Attached Files:

2. Debita

Debita Member

I think most of us involved in Tegutalk are of the mind that sexing them is dangerously invasive. I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, or if that's changed. I've seen a video on it and I would never do it to my Skully. I'm using the "patience" process, and just watching to see how her jowls are developing. I know it's disappointing to hear, but I think you could regret injuring your Tegu. Glad to have you on the blog!
  3. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

Welcome.

The correct angle up close view near
    the cloaca will show if enlarged cluster of scales are present = male.

Or, as Debita says, just wait for development of jowls. Begins around 1 yr old.
    Debita likes this.
  4. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

@Debita didnt plan on probing... I'm not a moron thanks.
  5. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

@Walter1 I kind was more wonder if the tegu is even old enough to tell because the reptile expo I got it at told me he is 6 months old... but there is no way he is only 18 inches and way too small. So I was more wondering what age should you even bother looking.
  6. Ali peirce

Ali peirce New Member

And by sexing I meant looking not the probe bc most males dont even develop until a year is what some say and others say you can tell right away.
  7. Debita

Debita Member

Easy there big girl......wasn't thinking you were a moron before........how would any of us know what you know? Are we all morons until we know that information?
    EnjoysWine and Walter1 like this.