• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Just adopted our first Tegu!

L4NGU1SH1NG

20190526_203252.jpg
Hello all ! We just adopted our first Tegu yesterday. Very excited about having her. As of this writing, we haven't decided on a name yet. I posted this to another thread but since this is the introduction page I figured I would paste it here as well. Thank you for reading!

"New Tegu owner here, just adopted/rescued yesterday. Female, approximately 5 months old. I asked his original owner when the last time he fed her was and he told me about 2 days ago. All the research I had done told me that Julvenile Tegu's need to eat everyday, so I as a little worried about that and tried to feed her not long after we got back home with her. I served a mixture of Mango, Hardboiled Egg & Mealworms and she wasn't interested. I thought the same, that she was a little stressed out having a new environment. So today, I tried the same meal and still no luck... I was getting concerned because this was going on day 3 now of no food. I just found this forum and after reading this post and all of the comments, I decided to give Hornworms a try. IT WORKED !! She took it immediately ! Ahhh ! I'm so happy she ate something !

Here's my question though, I read that my Tegu should be served as much food as she can eat in a 1 hour time period. She devours these Hornworms in just a few seconds and I only have about 6 of them left right now. How many of these should I give her ? Just keep feeding them until she eats them all ?"

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I have a 4 month old rescue - she loves a raw (I use cage-free organic) egg just poured whole into a shallow dish, and her favorite food is ground turkey (I don't use the lean variety) so I mix that up with supplements like calcium and vitamins. I only give her the eggs on occasion (I've never tried cooked eggs, but have had incredible success with enticing them to eat with a raw egg). And, my gut says - if it's your horn worms she wants, and is willing to gobble them up, then let her. I'd just switch to more variety as soon as you can. Horn worms can be expensive to feed if I remember right!? As far as the fat goes, I think while they're young a few too many of anything that she likes to eat prob won't harm her, as long as you get her eating, and then find the variety she'll accept. She is a beauty by the way!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced