• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

is this puberty?

rex2311

So my Sammy has stunted growth due to having hook worms when i got him he was a rescue from Florida so hes wild caught. but anyways he got sorta big then started breaking out of his enclosure. ever since then every time he gets on the floor or out of my hand he goes nuts and runs. he will even bite when you try to grab him. i used to love having him out but now i dont really. what do i do? hes getting out of control. he used to be so calm i would let kids touch him. and no he did not get this way right after i got rid of the hook worms it was a good amount of time after.

i attatched an image so you can see his size. and yes it is really small for his age but the vet said that would happen. he is 2 years old. vet said he would not be full grown till 3 or 4

Attachments

• photo_2018-09-07_15-31-02.jpg
    photo_2018-09-07_15-31-02.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 79

firfy

I think that since he is still smaller than 2 yr old tegus he might be freaking out because he still thinks that he is an easy prey item. Just don't try picking him up for awhile and restart the taming process let him get use to your hands and when he is out of the enclosure if you have a window with blinds open the blinds and let the light through and sit where the light is and wait until he crawls on you to bask. I don't think it is puberty because he is 2 years old, but there is a chance that it could be because he is stunted and he is behind in the development in his body

firfy

Humidity is normally above 70% and the vet made sure he was parasite free. I went all the way to the exotic vet
Ok so when you say above 70% do you mean like 80% because that's too high I suggest 60-70% because sometimes humidity can make a tegu grumpy

nightanole

I call tegu puberty "the terrible 2 pounds". It tends to kick in around 2 pounds (or 2 ft) and ends about a pound later. My female started around that time, and 2 sheds and 6"/1 pound later she is Much more mellow. Now that is she is 30" and almost 3lbs, she is past the "gonna get eaten" phase and just walks around eating bugs in the middle of the room while i put cloths away, vs hiding when there was any movement in the room.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980