• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is my tegu too young to go into brumation??

Sabrina23

Hey! I think I have a 3 month old tegu(not positive) she’s hasn’t eaten in about 5 days, and has been sleeping non stop unless I pick her up and take her out, but even then she falls asleep in my shirt. Last time she ate she had about two pinkies ground turkey and 15 crickets, is that too much? Her tank temp is 102/70 humidity is fine and I have a UVB bulb, she did just finish shedding last week then started acting weird with the sleeping all the time thing. She’s currently hiding in my hoodie sleeve, but I have a heating pad around her just for extra warmth.
* not even sure if it’s a girl lol!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Basking site around 105-110 F and hide in mid 70s F. 60'sF in winter, but ambient of the enclosure should be in low to mid 80sF or lower in the winter.

Brumation duration varies a lot. Every couple of days offer some food and play it by ear.

bocacash

5 Year Member
Hi, Sabrina ! She/he is not necessarily 'too young' to brumate...as Walter says...it varies alot depending on type of Tegu, your climate, where you house them, and their own natural rhythm. My Argentine B/W male didn't REALLY brumate the first winter I had him...but, I live in S. FL . where 40's are rare for us ! Best to let him/her tell you what's best...offer food when awake or every few days...and keep the temps right. It will be fine ! Good Luck !

Sabrina23

Hi, Sabrina ! She/he is not necessarily 'too young' to brumate...as Walter says...it varies alot depending on type of Tegu, your climate, where you house them, and their own natural rhythm. My Argentine B/W male didn't REALLY brumate the first winter I had him...but, I live in S. FL . where 40's are rare for us ! Best to let him/her tell you what's best...offer food when awake or every few days...and keep the temps right. It will be fine ! Good Luck !
Thank you!!!! Its been almost a month now and I finally just went in the tank and woke her up she’s dehydrated and hasn’t eaten she still won’t take any food idk what’s wrong with her

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thank you!!!! Its been almost a month now and I finally just went in the tank and woke her up she’s dehydrated and hasn’t eaten she still won’t take any food idk what’s wrong with her
Should never be dehydrated. Keep water available always. If you have, something's wrong.

Peter Kronenberg

Just got a Tegu yesterday, also about 3 months old. As soon as we put her in to her new enclosure she buried herself and hasn't been seen since. Do we have to worry about feeding her? Or do we just let her sleep as long as she wants? Are we not going to see her until the spring?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Keep proper temps and offerca little food in a shallow dish every few days.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced