• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is it a blue tegu.

Lori Murphy

Hi, New to the group and to tegus. Love them. I bought a young tegu off a friend and I am wondering if it might be a blue. The nose is brownish and it has black under the eyes. I have read that blues have this. Love it either way but was just wondering.
1454003790988211978103.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi Lori. Welcome.

My understanding is the same as yours about Blues- brownish nose and black teardrop under the eye. I hear that they are smewhat smaller than the typical Argie. Very beautiful animal.

N8bub

Blues are black and white tegus, or simply both Salvator merianae. That being said I think what are commonly referred to as blues have the burnt nose and teardrop under the eye. However these traits are found in some that are not blues. My opinion is that it is not a " blue" , blues also tend to have a higher percentage of white and this white will have a steely grey to blue tint to it. As Walt said beautiful animal, congrats!

snibborsirk

I would agree with N8bub, looks like a B&W to me that has a bit of the burnt nose and teardrop. Great tegu regardless - rarely see the burnt nose on B&Ws these days as they are mostly bred to have a high white pattern.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced