• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is hemp a viable option as a substrat

Anuke

Well my brother has guinea pigs and he uses hemp substrat. So i think about also changing to hemp. it has a few pros like beeing bakteria resistant and not molding easily. But i can't find anything about wheter or not it's ok to use with tegus. I hope someone can help. thx

PS. i know my spelling is ****, i'm german.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd make sure that it can get wet and stay moist/humid without growing mold and fungii

Anuke

I'd make sure that it can get wet and stay moist/humid without growing mold and fungii
thank you for your awnser.
Well thats what hemp is best at. They used to make the sails of sailboats out of hemp cause it doesnt mold. Hemp is naturally antibakterial and antifungal. But i'll test it anyways and tell you my results.

Last edited:

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh that's great! Sounds like it should work well then!
I'm pretty sure we aren't allowed to use it here because the US suuuuuuucks

bocacash

5 Year Member
Actually, there ARE many hemp products available now in the US...and more on the way as the laws change ! Hemp was once a valuable cash crop in the USA...ropes, halyards, sails...'cause of the qualities that Anuke stated. George Washington, and many others, grew it on their plantations and farms. Should be just fine !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam