• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Introducing Ruby

EnjoysWine

Hi everyone. I've made a number of posts on this site, but never in this section. We just got our six week old Red Tegu "Ruby" a few days ago, so I thought I'd introduce her and myself. So far Ruby has been extremely active and loves pinkies as well as chicken liver. She also appears to love Mulberries, but won't touch any veggies. She's been a bit shy and startles easily, but is warming up to being handled. I'm really surprised at how quickly she can switch between a fear response and a food/predatory response. She loves to eat.

I live in Ontario, Canada, and have had several reptiles as a teenager. A year ago my kids and I fell in love with a Tegu that was on display at a local fair. We had gotten a Tegu shortly after (last year), but unfortunately she didn't survive brumation over the winter. She hadn't gained much weight before brumation because I believe my temps were too low which resulted in a low appetite. I've also been told that it's dangerous to allow a brumation in the Tegus first year.

Since then I've learned a ton, primarily through this site. I wish I had found this site a year ago, and I would have understood the warning signs. I hope all new Tegu owners are able to find this forum as there is so much important details that you can't find in the basic care sheets that other websites have. You guys are a great community for helping eachother raise healthy and well adjusted Tegus.

20180708_163934.jpg
20180710_184741.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm so proud for how this little one is excelling. Glad this site is helpful.

I keep four Argies. I might be generalizing but maybe tegus like sweet and are apt to take various berries but avoid veggies. On occasion, I'll offer surpkus strawberries, and they take them, especially Oscar.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ruby looks beautiful and it sounds like you are bonding together really well.... good luck for the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced