• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Introducing 2 different monitor species

Scott_k

My baby savannah and Nile are about the same size I was wondering is it possible to introduce them to each other. I really am stuck on this I don't know how it would turn out I'm just curious to know if other people have done this and how it turned out. And if it's ok to introduce them how would I go about that. I don't plan on making them live together or anything I just thought that if that worked it would help lighten my load when I feed and bath them, because like I said earlier they're all housed individualy so they all get individual attention and it can be time consuming especially before work, they seem to be on my schedule because when I get up all 3 of them are up waiting for the lights to be turned on and they're hungry. Any advice would be great. I also know that at some point the Nile will out grow the savannah. I just wanted to try this while they're young, I have no intention of keeping them around each other when they're full grow.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I see no benefit in introducing them and think it would just be a catastrophe waiting to happen.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
im curious about your nile monitor. iv heard they can be real but holes, but iv also seen people with pretty tame ones too. how is your monitor? how big is he? and in response to your question most monitors tend to be territorial and another invader int their territory would end up in a fight.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Properly housed monitors don't need to be bathed or fed outside their enclosures. Do you mind sharing your setup details?

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
You think a Savannah would kill a Nile Monstruo? It depends on size but if they were adults a Nile would dominate a Savannah. Niles get 6+ feet and stocky while Savannahs on average get 3-3.5 and are a bit tubby. Anyways, the point is there's no reason to get them near each other in the first place so why would you?

Scott_k

In response to frost, he's still skittish. I can change the water and take care of husbandry needs without him running away and hiding, he will sit and watch me. I'm still giving him his space and haven't been handling him that much right now. There have been time when I was In a hurry and I needed to change his water he was in it and he let me Pick him to take him out to change it. He tail whips a little hasn't bit me yet. I tried tong feeding him he does not like tongs he flipped out. So I backed off with the tongs for now, and I just feed him in his enclosure. I got him from lll reptile and they told me he was farm raised how true that is I don't know, but right I'm giving him his space and time and not being forceful.

In response to James. First I want everyone to know these are temporary cages. Their new cages are in the process of being built. My sav is about 6in snout to tail. He's in a 4ftlx2ftwx18inh melmaline cage. Hot side between 108-120 Fahrenheit. Cool side 78-83 Fahrenheit and coco husk as substrate, humidity around 60%. I use a 160 watt repti sun the 2 in 1 light and a 14 in uv light the lighting is the same for both. My Nile is in a 4ftx3ftx3ft custom cage I built pretty much a box with plexiglass front and the doors are on the sides and swing on hinges. Hot side 125-130 Fahrenheit, cool side around 80 farenheit, and coco husk as substrate. The reason I used coco husk is I feel the pieces are big and he can't swallow any thing and they can still bury. Should I be using a different substrate?

My Nile is about 8 in

Dana C

I don't know about the Nile but sterile top soil makes a great substrate for both Savs and Black Throats.

Scott_k

As they get bigger I plan on changing substrate I was told that the coco husk was ok for the babies. And I deas on substrate would be great.

Scott_k

After work I'm going to change the substrate to soil. That can be used for both? Since we're talking about substrate what do some of you use for your tegus. For my red I use about 2ft of cypress mulch. Just curious.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When I had my tegu, water monitor, savannah and yellow monitor I used dirt for all of them. It was nothing special, just dirt from a local landscape company. Depending on where you live you can go right outside and dig up your own substrate.

Apophis

I use topsoil and mix it with either cypress mulch, eco earth, or coconut husks, my adult tegu does not burrow as much if i use straight topsoil. (also if you buy topsoil from a garden soil be sure to bake it, i learned that lesson after thinking my tegu had snake mites)

TegusRawsome80 said:
You think a Savannah would kill a Nile Monstruo? It depends on size but if they were adults a Nile would dominate a Savannah. Niles get 6+ feet and stocky while Savannahs on average get 3-3.5 and are a bit tubby. Anyways, the point is there's no reason to get them near each other in the first place so why would you?

hes just curious why couldnt someone let there 2 monitors become somewhat "friends" it happend with both my tegus and galil she seems to like them and they seem to like her

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602