• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Innovative tegu enclosure idea?

Sean32817

Hi all - first time tegu owner here.

So long story short, I ordered a juvenile B+W Argentine and having previously owned pythons, bearded and Chinese water dragons, my definition of juvenile clashed with my tegu's definition, meaning the 100 gallon tank the wife's yellow belly sliders used to live in would not last him the year or two I figured I had to construct a proper enclosure.

The idea I ultimately came up with was scoring a 3x7 foot water trough from a farm and feed store for $200.

They're two feet high as well and light enough that the wife could easily help me carry it inside and it will fit through standard sized doors.

It has a large, rounded lip which allows lights to be clipped onto it, obviously won't leak or rust and gives Rex twenty one square feet of space to explore, dig, bask and do his thing.

Working from home, I've got it set up in my office so Rex can easily watch me from his basking rock.

Other than him exploring around and testing to see if he could climb the sides - sigh, that was a week of non-stop scratching of claws on metal - he's happily settled in and doesn't freak out about me coming at him from above.

For me personally, this was a great solution until I can make him a proper set up, then again, I may build a ramp or some steps and simply allow him to climb in and out at his leisure once he's too big to hide under the furniture.

The only drawback I see for others - beyond the appearance, although the wife has vowed to paint the exterior - is getting it home as this is something you definitely need a pickup truck for (rent one at Home Depot, Lowes, U-Haul, etc).

So what do you think - good, cheap, effective alternative till you can get a real enclosure for your tegu?

Lady2Lucky

You may struggle to get your tegu's humidity high enough. I have a red, and they definitely need the humidity to shed well. Watch him closely for signs of retained shed on his tail, slow growth, lack of hunger, etc.

Sean32817

You may struggle to get your tegu's humidity high enough. I have a red, and they definitely need the humidity to shed well. Watch him closely for signs of retained shed on his tail, slow growth, lack of hunger, etc.
Rex's hasn't been having any shed problems, albeit, he's got a huge water dish which while he will take the occasional dip in it, is kind enough not to poop in.

I do live in Orlando were we've got high humidity so he's also got that going for him.

Dude Bro Man 433

If you looking cheap just do a grown tent , you can use cinder block around then perimeter in the inside so they have some room to dig and burrow, my tegu loves his , humidity and heat are always perfect

Sean32817

I wanted Rex to have an unobstructed view of me as I've found that reptiles better socialize when they can clearly see you.

His first week or two he would watch me like a hawk while I worked at my desk and always stand up or tense whenever I stood or moved about in earnest, but once he saw I was harmless he settled in and socialized quite quickly.

Another advantage of the tub is that he's now used to and perfectly comfortable with people being above him and reaching down for him.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602