• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

incubators???

playlboi

5 Year Member
i was wondering if any of you guys on here know how to build a home made incubator any incubator i could buy. preferably home made, that way it'd be cheaper on me. i'm planning on breeding my leos next year and see how it goes. i just need to know how to make an incubator. anybody have experience with this?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here is one of mine, I will tell you about building it later today, I got to get to work now.

DSCF0010-1.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

Sammy

5 Year Member
How many female Leos you planning on breeding? If it is only a female or two that you are planning on breeding your cheapest route is going to be a Thermal Air Flow Hovabator. Stay away from the Turbo Fan model, they have been known to dry out reptile eggs.

They are inexpensive ($40-$50) and you can keep a bunch of leo eggs in it. You can get them at most online reptile stores or if you have a farm supply store anywhere near you they can be picked up there as well.

If you are breeding a bunch of females then it will be worth your while to build your own. I have converted an old fridge, a soda cooler and will be converting a chest freezer her soon. Here is a pic of my converted soda cooler.
bator.jpg

I have $120 invested in that incubator. $110 of it was for a high end proportional thermostat (Herpstat). $10 went to the heating element (flexwatt). The soda cooler itself I got for free.

playlboi

5 Year Member
i have a male and 3 female geckos right now. i was planning on building one anyways. for future use. but those incubators look awesome. i think i might give those things a try.

playlboi

5 Year Member
will wine coolers work just as well as fridges for building an incubator? are they well insulated as the fridges?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My incubator is a deep freeze turned up on end. I took the springs out of the hinges; otherwise the door would stay open. Freezers and refrigerators have awesome insulation, they make great incubators. I used Clay's design mostly. Here is his link.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/incubator.shtml">http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/incubator.shtml</a><!-- m -->

I did add a few things to it. I added a 60-watt light bulb; it is plugged into the six-plug power strip on the Johnson thermostat. I also added three 12-volt computer fans to circulate the air; these are also connected to the power strip wired into a 12-volt power converter. The shell is a deep freeze turned up on end. Everything has been removed from the freezer, as seen on Clay's site. The total cost when it was all done was about $105.00. IMO, that is a very cheap price for a incubator of this size. As for the racks, I just took the measurements and matched them up at a local used appliance store. They charged me $3.00 dollars each for them.

Here are some of the parts:

Thermostat:

DSCN2911.jpg

The six-plug power strip that was pre-wired thermostat.

DSCN2912.jpg

The wired heat tape, computer fan and 60 watt light bulb, as well as some of the wires.

DSCN2913.jpg

Another computer fan:

DSCN2914.jpg

There are three computer fans total, all of these are wired together.

DSCN2915.jpg

The sensor in the bottom of the incubator.

DSCN2916.jpg

The wires going out.

DSCN2917.jpg

Srakha

5 Year Member
I did not build this incubator, but it WAS hand built by someone :) Here are some pics to help you get some ideas. I'd suggest sealing the inside with epoxy paint or other sealer over your paint.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fishcrzy.com/incubator/">http://www.fishcrzy.com/incubator/</a><!-- m -->

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980