• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I want lots of advice

Magik

5 Year Member
I am gettin an argentinian b&w tegu tomorrow and I would be very grateful for the advice i am asking for.

1. Do tegus need a hide?
the reason I am asking this is because everytime I see them for sale they never have hides.

2.Do you have to hibernate a tegu?
I know a keeper who has kept tegus for years without ever hibernating them

3.What are the best ways to build tust?
The reason why I am asking this is because another keeper had the same tegu for 2 years and was forever skittish never came near him not even when he when he was offering food

4.Can you give me exact temps and humidity such as basking abient humidity when shedding humidity when not.

5.What would be an aceptable enclosure size.

Thanks

Justin

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You should of did research before gettting one.
But yes Tegu's like hides..
You dont have to hibernate tegu's but most of them will do it on their own.
Best way that i think you can build trust is to have its cage in a room where there is alot of traffic of people.. or sitting by the cage, putting your hands in the cage (with out trying to grab the tegu)
For a full grown Tegu, you will need atleast a 8'x3'x4' cage..

Magik

5 Year Member
I did ALOT of research before writing up here but everything I have read seen been told and expierenced with these animals are contradictary to any and all information I have received with this particular species but thanks..... :-D

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The way you wrote before made it seem like you bought one with out doing research first.. lol but yeah when you see them in petstores and forsale.. they dont care what the needs of the animals are..so they dont give them hides and all the stuff tegus like..

Magik

5 Year Member
Lexi said:
The way you wrote before made it seem like you bought one with out doing research first.. lol but yeah when you see them in petstores and forsale.. they dont care what the needs of the animals are..so they dont give them hides and all the stuff tegus like..

Thats no problem I am just trying to get some solid advice because I have heard so many stories seen so many things and have read some pretty interesting things but have only become confused with all the contradictions and obviously bad advice I have heard from dealers and pet shops I just figured Id get the best info off the people who ARENT trying to sell me animals!!

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well heres a link to bobby's site.. everything you need should be on the caresheet.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.varnyard-herps-inc.com/">http://www.varnyard-herps-inc.com/</a><!-- m -->

Magik

5 Year Member
Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for some solid herp advice :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced