• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I need some advice

MarMatt

Hello fellow Tegu friends,. I have a 5 month old red Tegu, I got her off the plane on November 12th. She went straight underground. Everything I have read tells me that she is gone into hibernation and not to dig her up and for sure don't leave food.
When I must the tank to ensure proper moisture in the substrate, I open up a small hole into her hide so I can make sure she is still there. She will poke her nose out and check out what's going on, and one time she came all the way out and had a bath in her water dish, but went straight back under and backfilled her hide again.
I have also been advised that it is unusual for them to hibernate so young and I should be keeping an eye on her weight. I am a bit confused what I should be doing that will ensure her health

nightanole

Nah they can hatch and go right into hibernation a month later for 6 months, and end up 12" at 9 months. Meanwhile a 9 month male may be 5lbs if it stayed up the whole time.

Keys for hibernation:
Will refuse food most of the time
Will stop coming out of the hide daily
at some point will go down, and only come out a few times in a few weeks to sun and do the final poop
at that point you can leave basking lights on for a few more weeks, then shut down shop for 4-6 months

That is assuming she is trying to hibernate. The last sub 18" i got, would stay in the hide and only come out 1-2 times a week, and only eat 1-2 times a week. 2 months later once it was adjusted, it was eating daily and had a daily routine.

My advice is not to annoy it. Let it adjust. If its out of its hide you can put your hand on the substrate and hope she comes over to inspect. They are very curious(mainly because they are nature's garbage disposals and checking out everything to see if its edible) of new things in the cage if they think they will not be eaten by said thing.

MarMatt

Nah they can hatch and go right into hibernation a month later for 6 months, and end up 12" at 9 months. Meanwhile a 9 month male may be 5lbs if it stayed up the whole time.

Keys for hibernation:
Will refuse food most of the time
Will stop coming out of the hide daily
at some point will go down, and only come out a few times in a few weeks to sun and do the final poop
at that point you can leave basking lights on for a few more weeks, then shut down shop for 4-6 months

That is assuming she is trying to hibernate. The last sub 18" i got, would stay in the hide and only come out 1-2 times a week, and only eat 1-2 times a week. 2 months later once it was adjusted, it was eating daily and had a daily routine.

My advice is not to annoy it. Let it adjust. If its out of its hide you can put your hand on the substrate and hope she comes over to inspect. They are very curious(mainly because they are nature's garbage disposals and checking out everything to see if its edible) of new things in the cage if they think they will not be eaten by said thing.

Thank you very much!! Very helpful for sure! .I have dragons and a tortoise, ball python, but this whole completely disappearing thing right off the plane had me concerned about what the right thing is to do!!
Much appreciated!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced