• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I have a biter. How do I discourage this?

Dragon392

Draco is a male Argentine B&W, hatched in 2019. I got him last September, and he went down for brumation in October. He’s now back up, and seems to have developed a whole new personality. Every time I reach a hand out to him, we play his favorite game show: “Is He Curious, Or Is He Hungry?”

So, some specifics. He eats well—he’s primarily eating pinkies, Reptilink (uncased megablend, ‘cause he’s still too small for the links), and chopped up chicken hearts and gizzards with veggies and fruit. Since he’s come back up for the Spring, he’s been a much more aggressive feeder, and absolutely attacks whatever I put in front of him. I don’t typically feed him from my hands (with the rare exception of offering a piece of fruit that way), and either set a bowl of food in his enclosure, or tong feed him. He’s not a huge fan of being picked up yet, so I haven’t been removing him from his enclosure to feed.

I don’t try it until he’s finished eating because I know it’ll end in tragedy, but sometime after he’s eaten, I will put my hand in and hold it out to him to see if he’ll climb up. He doesn’t seem afraid or aggressive, when I do this. He’ll come right up to me, tongue flicking like crazy, look at me from several angles, then chomp. I can pet him, as long as I get behind his head to where he can’t see my fingers—he will sit still, and seems to enjoy it (or at least tolerate it), but if he sees my fingers, they’re finger food. And I do make sure I either haven’t touched food with my bare hands, or I’ve washed my hands before trying to handle him, so I shouldn’t smell like food.

I am extremely pale—maybe he’s confusing my fingers with pinkies? Or maybe he’s just a jerk who likes to bite the hand that feeds him. I don’t know!

Any ideas on how to convince him that fingers are friends, not food?

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
After Brumation / winter I personally think that they seem a bit dazed and confused.... it tends to take a couple of week to just build trust again back to what it was.

My male was also an ass too at around probs just under a year, he came into his teenager stage pushing boundaries and his sperm plug became noticeable in his poop......lol

Dragon392

He’s been up for just about two weeks, now. Maybe that’s it.

It’s weird because he doesn’t seem scared or aggressive when he does it. After he first woke up, he seemed very shy—didn’t want me close, would go hide out in his hide or freeze if I tried to handle him, or would huff and sometimes tail whip. This week, he’s suddenly gotten very bold and confident. He’s not huffing, breathing heavily, running away, or tail whipping, just sniffing and then trying to chomp down on my fingers.

Dylan koch

Ya my red tegus are going through Poland mean as hell right now!! But what I suggest which I do with my blues and reds is not pick them up but get something depending how big tegu is. A metal screen or wood board with chicken wire stapled to it works grate as a way to help them out to feed but let them get on before lift out of cage with board. I enticed on with food at first now they just do it. Yesterday tho my male blue ice jumped 2 feet to top of enclosure to just chill on top with me. Didnt know a year old could jump 2 feet

Dylan koch

My blue ice make shorts dirty lol

Attachments

• 20200325_155856.jpg
    20200325_155856.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 33

Dylan koch

Ya he could be going into tegu puberty like I think my reds are.. I'm hoping because the all a sudden aggression in my male but now my females getting fat because shes eating all his food. Their personalities have changed so much. I've been trying to work on taking them out to feed but they freak out and get aggressive. The red female still loves my attention through glass and pets when she isn't moody. My blues on other hand totally opposite so sweet handlable and able to take out and handle.

Godzilla Earth

Ya he could be going into tegu puberty like I think my reds are.. I'm hoping because the all a sudden aggression in my male but now my females getting fat because shes eating all his food. Their personalities have changed so much. I've been trying to work on taking them out to feed but they freak out and get aggressive. The red female still loves my attention through glass and pets when she isn't moody. My blues on other hand totally opposite so sweet handlable and able to take out and handle.
lol. mabey you should take the males food before the female takes it

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam