• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I got my new rhino iguana today!

burke0000

5 Year Member
Well I picked up my rhino iggy this morning from the post office. He is super tame so far and didint seem to mind me picking him up or petting him. Heres some pics of the little guy(well not so little).

DSCN1169.jpg

DSCN1170.jpg

DSCN1172.jpg

Also I heard that cuban rock iguanas are more tame and mellow than rhinos and rhinos dont like to be held as much, anybody have any input on that?

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I used to hear that Cubans are calmer and tamer also. In my experience I really don't see much difference. My Rhinos are more social and tolerate handling very very well. Some of them actually seem to like being held and cuddled.

Once your baby Rhino settles in he will probably become a bit more flighty. Young Rhinos will almost always poop on you within a minute or two of being picked up!! Just thought I'd warn you about that. LOL

Congrats on your baby! He looks as if he could grow up to be a stunner!

MeandScrub.jpg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
MMRR - jif said:
Young Rhinos will almost always poop on you within a minute or two of being picked up!! Just thought I'd warn you about that. LOL
That goes for Cubans too! I'm "potty" training ours, putting her in a tub with paper towels immediately when I take her out. She doesn't try to escape and has pooped both times within a minute or 2. Then she doesn't go on me!

Zilch

5 Year Member
Congrats! He looks great!

Also... my cuban hasn't pooped on me yet 8) oh crap I just jinxed it

burke0000

5 Year Member
That white spot on his head is some skin that didnt fall off with the rest of the shed. Its loose so it will fall off soon. Also for future reference Rob Ehrig breeds rhinos, cuban rocks, blue iguanas, and two of the smaller types of spiny tail iggys. I forgot the names of them.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Bob has a waiting list a mile long for his blues and I don't think he produces too many Cubans any more. The Ctenos that he is working with are C. melanosterna and C. pectinata (not sure about the pecs). I think he produced his first melanosterna last year, don't know if he has any cooking this year.

Bob is a super nice guy and knows Rhinos better than anyone else in the country. I would never hesitate to do business with him.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I don't know the geneology behind Bob's blues but he has had them for many years and I would guess to say they are close if not pure. I would imagine that Bob would be the last one to admit purity since that would put him at risk of losing them. I don't think he ever sells a female and the males go for mucho bucks.

burke0000

5 Year Member
I believe he said he does have some pure blues I think? But he says he has hybrid blues too that are 90% blue. And he said he had one cuban yearling and will be hatching out about 24 cubans soon.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
burke0000 said:
That white spot on his head is some skin that didnt fall off with the rest of the shed. Its loose so it will fall off soon.

I thought it was skin but just wasn't sure. Great looking igg.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Permits are not necessary for hybrids. A permit is required to transport pure Caymanensis across state lines but there are ways to get around that legally.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam