• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hygrometer/Thermometer Placement

BrandonM

Good Morning,
I have searched on google and on here to see if this question was already answered. Anyways, I know for other reptiles the hygrometer probe can be placed a little above the substrate, but with a Tegu that is currently sleeping at the bottom of the substrate where should the probe be? Like should I place it in the substrate to keep an eye on humidity where he is staying or the normal place just above the substrate?

Look forward to hearing from everyone! And thank you in advance.

Danieldmcl

I would say keep it above because if its high enough above its probably gonna even higher where he is below, just as long as its not too damp in the enclosure or there can be respiratory problems or risk off other problems. Keeping large water bowls in the viv will help keep humidity up.

Waters

I keep mine dead center about 2/3 of the way up. If you put it on the hot side (and it is controlling a mister) it will continually be going on, soaking the rest of the cage. I always double check humidity levels at various areas using a separate hygrometer and adjust from there.

BrandonM

Sweet thank you I will move it over to the center as it is currently on the hot side(don’t have a mister just mist it with a mister bottle) about to be taking my 160w powersun and trading it for a 100w powersun as it is making the ambient temps all over the enclosure 90-95 so there isn’t gradient.

Waters

Sweet thank you I will move it over to the center as it is currently on the hot side(don’t have a mister just mist it with a mister bottle) about to be taking my 160w powersun and trading it for a 100w powersun as it is making the ambient temps all over the enclosure 90-95 so there isn’t gradient.
Sounds good! Yeah, the humidity levels will always be much lower on the hot size....your probably getting false readings having the probe over there :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced