• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how young

Bntegus

how young has anybody had a female lay eggs. this is the second female i have had lay eggs under a year thanks billy.

RamblinRose

5 Year Member
Why would anyone willingly want to breed one so young? All it will do is take so much out of them and they will never grow to their full potential, yet stay small. That is just.... never mind. :mad:

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How could a tegu under a year possibly even produce eggs? As rose mentioned its way to dangerous to both the female and the offspring(If the eggs are even fertile),DO NOT BREED A TEGU UNDER 3 y/o

Bntegus

if they are fed proper how is it dangerous i never said for anyone else to try this. and the first female that i had do this is 5 years old and just healthy. just was asking didnt no the tegu cops where here and still never got a answer that is all i asked

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are no tegu police here, 1st of all a 5 y/o tegus reproductive organs are fuly matured wereas ategu under a year even if it didn't hibernate and grew fast its still not fully matured,2)its dangerous because the tegu is stil developing, when she reproduces it takes a lot from her body, therefore its taking away valuable nutrients she needs for growth and development 3) the hatchling couldn't possibly get what they need to develop into heathy izards and may have various complications

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bntegus said:
how young has anybody had a female lay eggs. this is the second female i have had lay eggs under a year thanks billy.

Bntegus said:
if they are fed proper how is it dangerous i never said for anyone else to try this. and the first female that i had do this is 5 years old and just healthy. just was asking didnt no the tegu cops where here and still never got a answer that is all i asked

Which one is it? The second female under a year old that you've had lay eggs or was the first one actually 5yrs old and therefore mature enough to do so. Another question to ask would be what's a good age to breed a female. When you ask how young even though you've already done it, you're sending all the wrong signals, it's an all around red flag.

There's money involved (always is) when people risk it and they usually don't care much about the animal. If so,.. why take the chance and try it

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He is saying the first female that laid before a year old is NOW 5 years old. I don't think he was asking anyone's opinion but rather if anyone else had experienced females laying as young or younger than his.

naturboy87

Purl is only 2 years she layed 44 eggs and is doing grate she is geting so big she might have anuther cluch by the end of spring . Roxy is bulding her nest right now every day and she is like 4 years but still much smaller then Purl. the experenced breeders that i have spoke have told me that it has nuthing to do with age but with size . a huge 2 year old female can easly be reddy . wher sum girls might take 5 years to get big enuf to handle a cluch of eggs ... and so how would u stop your female frum laying eny wase i mean she gets huge and obisuly full of eggs and so u just let her go threw all the stress of laying an infretil cluch .. y would u ever do that when she will mate and go threw the same stress that she would have laying an infurtle cluch but insted u can try to rase the eggs and make babbies . its not like u can MAKE them breed they have to be verry happy and realaxed to purduce eggs

Bntegus

james.w said:
He is saying the first female that laid before a year old is NOW 5 years old. I don't think he was asking anyone's opinion but rather if anyone else had experienced females laying as young or younger than his.

james thanks you that is what i said im not trying to breed at this age i just keep pairs together. and she was under a year because i hatched her its not about the money i just was asking if this has happen to anyone thanks.

thanks james that is what i was saying. and first off if my tegus can lay eggs at a young age then i must be doing something right like well support. i feed every day i have very big enclosures lots of heat running water. i dont think its about the money i think its about learning from trying new not what i read in a book or read on the computer. im sorry if some of you think this not right i dont try to do this i just keep young pairs together so its just nature thanks billy.
every time i post it does not go through.

i never tried this for money i must just do something that other people are not. if i can keep a young pair together and they breed then what is wrong with that i feed every day have very large enclosures running water lots of heat i only feed whole pray i do not use uv i keep them all outside with heat year around i under stand that not everyone can do this but it does not make me the bad guy here its the people that think there are right when they dont have a clue i never said what i do is what everyone should just was asking thanks billy.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
naturboy87 said:
Purl is only 2 years she layed 44 eggs and is doing grate she is geting so big she might have anuther cluch by the end of spring . Roxy is bulding her nest right now every day and she is like 4 years but still much smaller then Purl. the experenced breeders that i have spoke have told me that it has nuthing to do with age but with size . a huge 2 year old female can easly be reddy . wher sum girls might take 5 years to get big enuf to handle a cluch of eggs ... and so how would u stop your female frum laying eny wase i mean she gets huge and obisuly full of eggs and so u just let her go threw all the stress of laying an infretil cluch .. y would u ever do that when she will mate and go threw the same stress that she would have laying an infurtle cluch but insted u can try to rase the eggs and make babbies . its not like u can MAKE them breed they have to be verry happy and realaxed to purduce eggs

Last I read tegus don't have issues with dystocia if they're not bred, infertile follicles are absorbed. But that could easily change with some peoples husbandry and the way they continue to breed them too early.

So to stop the female from laying, that's an easy fix keep her separated from males. Why even put her through the stress of dealing with the male if she's too young, not big enough and or just not ready.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
/bubblz is correct, also i'd like to add naturboy your tegu purl is a giant they are able to carry eggs at 2 y/o, b/w's its 3 y/o, no matter how you want to spend it its dangerous to the tegu

Bntegus

lol i didn't no that a giant was different. and what do they do in the wild run from a male no if they are ready to breed they do. i do not keep my tegus inside in a small enclosure all of mine are outside year around with heat and food everyday so if you wait tell you are ready to breed your female then you are the one changing nature not me.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well obviously you dont know tegus, in the wild if a female dosnt want to breed yes she will run away, they have open space to get away, putting her in a cage with a male she dosnt have much space to escape regardless of how large it is, let me explain a lil bit about tegus that you obviously dont understand, tegus grow rapidly their first 3 years and then slows down, when they breed it takes alot of calcium from her body to form the shells and othe vitamins and nutrients to support the embyo, when you breed any animal too early it takes a toll on the females body, she is still gowing therefore if the eggs are taking all the nutrients from her body she dosnt have anything left to support her own growth and development, giants are a bit different in the breeding area not only are the females larger but they sexually mature faster than b/w's in fact they grow faster also, do a bit of reseach

Bntegus

im sorry you feel this way i never tried to hurt anyone's feeling just was asking a question. and what difference does it make how old they are if they are well supported they will breed without any danger to themselves the first female that did this 5 years ago was around 3feet and 9lbs at one year. and i never said they where bw they are blues so you are talking about something that was never answered in my question i never said what they were and now your saying if they were giants it would be possible? i think you are doing just fine with the animals you have so i dont think you should tell me to research anything because you still are not getting anywhere by proving they cant breed under 3 who wrote the text book on this theory. also you are sitting here telling me what iv done wrong and have not helped me one bit witch i never asked for any help just was asking if anyone else has seen this before so you are doing a really good job at helping anyone that would like to breed there tegus or would like to learn something new sorry if this hurts anyone's feeling

Compnerd7

A female human can have a child at age 14, that doesn't mean physically or mentally she should. Any responsible parent would not let their 14 year old daughter live in the same house unattended with a bunch of guys. Hormones would end up getting the best of her, ending up in a bad situation. The metaphor translates over to reptiles.

If, on a rare occasion, a very young female Tegu in the wild was mated with, she would become stressed out with a burden her body wasn't ready to handle yet. She would more then likely die young if her clutch succeeded. More then likely, she wouldn't be able to procure enough nutrients to produce a clutch, and would more then likely die.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
im not getting your point, if i see something thats wrong i will speak up and that in itself is help, breeding a tegu at 1 y/o just because it can lay an egg isnt fair to your tegu whethers its a blue, giant or b/w, anyone who is looking to breed tegus would have to face the blunt truth, i would never tell someone they are doing something right just to make them feel good about themselves, i dont see the rush, but hey its your tegus and you can do as you please

Compnerd7

Bntegus said:
im sorry you feel this way i never tried to hurt anyone's feeling just was asking a question. and what difference does it make how old they are if they are well supported they will breed without any danger to themselves the first female that did this 5 years ago was around 3feet and 9lbs at one year. and i never said they where bw they are blues so you are talking about something that was never answered in my question i never said what they were and now your saying if they were giants it would be possible? i think you are doing just fine with the animals you have so i dont think you should tell me to research anything because you still are not getting anywhere by proving they cant breed under 3 who wrote the text book on this theory. also you are sitting here telling me what iv done wrong and have not helped me one bit witch i never asked for any help just was asking if anyone else has seen this before so you are doing a really good job at helping anyone that would like to breed there tegus or would like to learn something new sorry if this hurts anyone's feeling

A little bit of this info would have been helpful if you posted this in your initial question. What species you were breeding in particular. If you just throw in your breeding your Tegu at one year, obviously that looks bad because MOST species should to be 3+ years old. The people who wrote the textbook on breeding are people with decades of experience, and DEEP study into the physiological nature of the Tegu.

I will get back to you on some of the research done, what goes on in the wild, and scientific reasons why Tegus are breed at a certian age.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Black and White, Extreme and Blue for now are all considered and or classified as T. Merianae. Blues are typically smaller than the other two.

But you're totally missing the point, no ones saying that they can't breed before they're 3 years old. But why allow it to happen then try to find out how young, how soon and risk the health of the female.

Why not give them time to grow and mature properly, what's the rush?

A yearling isn't even a sub adult, they still have some growing and maturing to do. So why interfere with that by keeping them together and allowing them to breed. When kept together she has no way of getting away from the male unless you intervene. He can keep trying until she gives in or puts up a fight and causes other issues.

Since it's the second time this has happened you're obviously encouraging it instead of trying to prevent it. But as long as you get viable eggs and hatchlings you can sell, what difference does it make right. I mean if anything does happen to the female she can easily be replaced with one of the babies :rolleyes:. Just because they (you) can doesn't mean they (you) should.

Don't get me wrong complications can happen at anytime or age, although less likely when they're mature enough. So why not wait and give them (mother and babies) the best chance possible.

We're suppose to support and encourage proper and responsible care of our pets not the opposite.

MadameButterfly

Compnerd7 said:
A female human can have a child at age 14, that doesn't mean physically or mentally she should. Any responsible parent would not let their 14 year old daughter live in the same house unattended with a bunch of guys. Hormones would end up getting the best of her, ending up in a bad situation.

To be honest that is offensive to 14 year old girls and to guys of any age in general too, you may as well just be saying that any 14 year old girl is hormonally charged and any guy is sexually predator so sex is inevitable. Thats such a horrible stereotype to engender and populate. Cop on! everyone has a choice and in my experience most 14 year olds aren't sex magnets and most men aren't sick enough to try lay a child underage anyway. Next time you make an example try make it less of a stereotype where you tar half the planet with the same brush just because it is something you believe to be true

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602