• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How to put your tegu in hibernation?

Steven.

Hey guys. Just wondering how i should go about putting my tegu into hibernation. I've stop offering food since a week ago and i don't run the lights. But i live in fl. So temps in the house remain around 75-80 daytime and 70-75 night time.. I noticed he comes out everyday. Walks around and then goes back in the hide.. Any ideas?... Thanks

sent from my phone to your eyes

Diablo

5 Year Member
Not sure what to tell you because I'm going through the same thing. Yoshi has been in his hide for about two weeks now, but I occasionally see tail marks throughout his cage so he does get up and move around. I'm not sure if this means I should try and feed him or not but I do leave the lights on from now on until I completely know he isn't coming back up for months. So I think those temps are fine, they can hibernate with those temperatures.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
From what I've been reading no higher than 75 no lower than 55 is optimal. Also that the animal kind of does it on its own regardless the temps. Niles refuses to eat yet still comes out to bask most mornings. Fresh water and misting I am sure are very important so won't dehydrate.and I know they need to have everything out of tummy before hibernation so it won't rot in the belly.I live in nh so getting colder naturally.I'm still doing lights, heat and uvb as usual.the exception is that I always do my light routine based on what it's doing outside.light outside my lights go on, dark outside my lights go off.i was told just watch that tail fat does not seem to lessen and should be ok for winter.good luck with yours and wish me luck with niles! It's my first tegu and first hibernation! <3

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just let him be I'm sure from your description he may be going down soon, my boy is up every morning when Iget up 3am(he'll come out around 4) funny his appettite is gradually increasing, there's no exact science to this lol Iwas hoping to save a few bucks this winter

Steven.

Thanks guys. So ill just run the light from 9-12 am until he's down. Should i try and feed him or keep the food away?.. Im sure if he's basking then he must be hungry..

Steven.

Cool. Thanks a lot. How long do you think i should run the lights?.. Maybe 6 hours max?.. 9-3?..

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: How to put your tegu in hibernation?

reptastic said:
If he eats feed him, if he is truly going to hibernate he won't eat at all

That's what niles is doing.continuing to bask yet flatly refuses food...

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Skeetzy

If you read my thread I posted asking about taking mine out of hibernation, a member(can't recall his name) who's studied tegus and hibernation, gave a lot of information. He said the shortest winter days were no shorter than 10 hours.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Yea I got Godzilla from him he is a extreme giant cross b/w he is just going through a bad shed but healthy

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353373286407.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353373286407.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 17

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Sorry, Skeetzy, that's not entirely correct. I said where I had studied my tegus, the shortest day was longer than 10 hours. The further south you go in South America, though, the shorter the day can be during winter. However, if anyone wants to be even more accurate, there are plenty of online tools for calculating photoperiods, sunrise & sunset times for any location on Earth. If you know the coordinates of the region you want to try to mimic (or if not, you can simply look at a map to get one), then just google "photoperiod calculator", and you should get plenty of links to be able to properly create the natural light cycle of the specific area your tegu is originally from by entering that location's longitude and lattitude coordinates (or some can do it simply from major cities in the area).

Steven.

So i'm still kinda worried guys, he's coming out everyday to bask without eating much. His light are on from 11-4pm, and the only time his enclosure is over 85 degrees is when the light is on. I'm afraid that hes using up his reserve while he's awake and he'll get skinny during hibernation. Should i just let him be or is there anything i can do?... I offer food every 3 days and he takes little bites or one major bite and then he's done... Not enough for him to build fat...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Why are his lights only on for 5 hours? Maybe he isn't getting enough heat to properly digest his food so he isn't hungry?

Steven.

james.w said:
Why are his lights only on for 5 hours? Maybe he isn't getting enough heat to properly digest his food so he isn't hungry?

Those are the times he out james. He get out from his hide sometime after 11 and goes back in before 4pm. He poops everyday after he eats and will only eat ever 3 days, I was running the lights from 9am-5pm, but he was never out and i didnt want to keep the temps high, it already normally 80-85 degrees in the enclosure. I offered food everyday, but he didnt eat. I know he's getting ready for hibernation, but just go down already and stop using your fat lol...

Steven.

Thats the usually temps on the hot side without the lamp on. Cool side stays in between 75-80 degrees. Hot side gets warm because there some sun light that hits it throughout the day...

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my opinion/experience they know what they need to do to survive. As long as you provide what is required, they will take care of the rest. Just keep doing what you are doing, and follow his lead.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced