• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How to get your child to eat their veggies?

saurus172

I know that Tegus eat meat and plant matter, but how do you introduce the veggies and fruit to them to get them to actually eat it?

I have a 1.5 to 2 month old (or however old a 16-18inch tegu is) Argentine Red Tegu named Mori. I don't know if it is simply too soon to try the veggies or what.
20201010_155749.jpg

Chris & Stitches

Yeah I haven’t noticed any side effects with stitches.even all the way through adulthood they are about 60-80% carnivorous.ive wasted so much money offering vegetables and I’d imagine if they thought they needed to eat it they would.im starting to think in the wild they may only eat fruits and such when that’s all they can find, and once they find things they like they continue eating them.

Dylan koch

I rarely feed mine fruits and vegetables because often it goes to waste. I've only had luck with banana, strawberry and blueberries. But I do recommend reptilink I have never seen a tegu not eat absolutely everything! It's just kinda pricy alternative. But definitely worth it! I'm going to get some soon. And I've never fed my tegus live prey except for insects I breed! In my experience it can make them more vicious or have that prey instinct with movement and bites are more likely to happen. Just my experience and 2 cents. I have always used raw grounded meats or I hand cut stuff or use rodents, quail, chicken ect whole prey

Cookie

My tegu was 2 yrs before I realized he needed fruit and veg. Now he eats everything. I started by scrambling a raw egg on a plate. He loves eggs. Then I slowly added thawed fruit from a mix berry blend. He would eat this with the egg. Then I added ground collard greens . When he was eating all this I started blending it in the blender and adding ground turkey. Then I bought some dog food that had no grain and the first two ingredients were fish. I would soak this then blend it the with the rest. Now he will eat 2 salad plates full of this.

rantology

I get reptilinks megablend which is 25% veggies if I remember right in every link. My other strategy is to put the tasty food on the bottom, put some fish oil on it and then shred up dandelion greens or arugula or whatever I have clipped that day into really fine, small pieces so it "sticks" to pretty much all of it. He ends up eating a fair bit of it and it's hilarious to watch him attempt to not eat them :p He has no issues eating fruit on its own thankfully.

Chris & Stitches

Good to know. It turns out Stella loves to eat blackberries, stitches just likes to lick them.
I’ve been making extravagant pladders since April only to throw them away.it was crazy how exiting it was watching a lizard eat a piece of fruit

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
My adult male will not touch fruits or veggies, loves fish. My female would have eaten anything, and even loved bugs. I have diced up veggies (like Rantology talked about) and mixed them into ground turkey. That usually works for me.

If all you give your Tegu is live prey ....that's all they'll want. I don't like watching it, nor do I think it's conducive to the human relationship. Chris and Stitches and I have an ongoing debate over this. ;) My concern is that hunting is a very wild behavior that we're trying to tame, and with adult Tegus they have a mean bite that can be completely avoided by feeding frozen/thawed prey. I believe it softens the Tegu a lot. Why risk a damaged digit? For sure, I wouldn't do it around kids.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced