• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How to feed a blind lizard

Bwindi

We recently adopted a blind leopard gecko (The person taking care of him was ill informed about many things and he lost his eyesight due to dehydration =( ) anyways, it has been a few days now and i'm not expecting him to warm up to his new life right away, but i can't get him to eat anything. I have tried everything short of actually opening his mouth and putting a mealworm in there haha, he is extremely malnourished and thin and if anyone has any experience with this or any ideas I would really appreciate your input, thanks!

Logie_Bear

Try taking a juicy cricket and pinching off its head, and exposing the gooey innards. Hold that up to your leos noise and waif for him to lick. Hopefully he will take a bite on his own. Good luck and keep us posted about him.

apocalypse910

I second the gooey innards suggestions - I usually do the same with super-worms. If all else fails you can use repta-boost as a short term solution.

If I can ask what is the physical condition of the gecko's eyes?

Bwindi

apocalypse910 said:
I second the gooey innards suggestions - I usually do the same with super-worms. If all else fails you can use repta-boost as a short term solution.

If I can ask what is the physical condition of the gecko's eyes?

His eyes seem to be held shut so I can't really tell what is going on inside, I can only see a bit of black between his lids and he seems to have a hard time shedding around his eyes, thanks for the suggestions i will definitely give that a try

Logie_Bear

Also, if he is still dehydrated, try getting some pedialyte from your local grocery store. You can usually find it in the babies/toddlers section.

Can you post some pics of him?

got10

Logie_Bear said:
Also, if he is still dehydrated, try getting some pedialyte from your local grocery store. You can usually find it in the babies/toddlers section.

Dude, I KEEP pedialyte in my house. With all the animals in my home , I get new animals in that I rescue and give back to people on the regular basis.Usually it animals buy from the expos and pick up something because it so tame not realizing its on its last leg. you can ,if you have a dosing syringe( any pharmacy) give it a mixture of egg yolks and meat based baby food . Then when it is strong enough to eat on its own ,you can feed it dubia with the legs cut off. Or well just one side so it cant run from the lizard except in circles. This is from experience with too many blind lizards . The only time I lost anything was from a chameleon. By the time I received it , it was too far gone it couldn't even keep its mouth closed . I pumped it up for a week. But, i didnt do any good at all.

Bwindi

[attachment=5164][attachment=5165]
Logie_Bear said:

good idea, he drank a bunch of water when we first got him here, you could tell it had been awhile.. here are a couple pics of him, we weren't expecting him so we had to improvise on the cage a little until we were able to setup something better =) we named him moondog after the blind musician

Attachments

• moondog.jpg
    moondog.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 637
  • moondog2.jpg
    moondog2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 652

AP27

I have two blind leos. One responds well to the 'poke a hole in the worm' method. The other is very responsive to sound, so I'll drop the worm in front of her and then scratch at the floor a little next to it with tweezers and she grabs it in no time. Good luck with your Moondog =) It sad to see things like this happen but good that they find good homes eventually.

Bwindi

Finally got him to eat! I tried cutting a cricket in half and at first he seemed really pissed, and then he realized what it was and swallowed it in one bite haha, and went on to eat his fill, thanks so much for everyones help with keeping this fellow alive

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980