• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How Old Is My Tegu?

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
He is an Argentine black and white and about two feet long. What age would you reckon he is? This is just for my own curiosity and so I can assign him a birthday (yeah, I'm the dorky pet parent who celebrates his reptiles' birthdays).

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It varies,.. since they grow and mature at different rates whether they hibernate or not. There's no way of telling exactly how old your tegu is unless you got it from a breeder.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ah Dont feel bad i do the same, i keep track of all hatchdatesi know of lol, and yes i celebrate them too (as much as i can anyway) but as Bubblz stated there is no sure way of knowing, northern hemisphere tegus hatch in June/july (our summers) and southern hemisphere tegus in January/febuary (imports, their summer)

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
While I completely agree with the points made above (due to varying growth rates there is no sure way to tell)...

A Tegu born in June/July of last year (2010) should be around 2'...

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Toby_H said:
While I completely agree with the points made above (due to varying growth rates there is no sure way to tell)...

A Tegu born in June/July of last year (2010) should be around 2'...

I figured it was a yearling. I was making an educated guess based on how big they are as adults and what I read their average growth rate was.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It varies, diet, hibernation, brumation, lighting, genetics can all effect a growth rate.
Gary and Rango were just over 2 ft when I got them a couple months ago but were pretty small for being 2 years old. Guru is from 2010 and he is a bit over 3.5 ft.

jumper123

Yay I am not the only dork!! All my animals have birthday parties! They get presents and I get vodka!! ( for being such a good mom of course)

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jumper123 said:
Yay I am not the only dork!! All my animals have birthday parties! They get presents and I get vodka!! ( for being such a good mom of course)

Lol i feel cheated i didnt get any vodka, they got pedicures, steaks and whatever else i got nothing lol

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
jumper123 said:

Usually I assign their birthday as the day I got them, which I why my ball python, Mr. S, and I have the same birthday, which is also my toad Joe's birthday. You totally deserve vodka for being a good mom to your critters, lol. Cheers! :) I am such a HUGE dork; I talk to my reptiles like most people talk to their dogs and I like to cuddle with my python while I watch TV.
reptastic said:
jumper123 said:

Lol i feel cheated i didnt get any vodka, they got pedicures, steaks and whatever else i got nothing lol

Can you really give tegus steak? We to that for the dogs on special occasions.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced