1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

How Often Should I Feed My Tegu

Discussion in 'Black and White Tegu Discussion' started by Ash_fable, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Ash_fable

Ash_fable New Member

I would like to know how often I should feed my tegu.

I've been reading on here that you should feed them every day. But if they're fed daily, how do they not get overweight? Obesity is a real problem for these lizards. Even with the proper basking spot (120) and humidity (60-70), I think a tegu would still get overweight being fed that often. Am I wrong?

In the wild tegus don't get food every day, and that's one of the ways they stay lean.

Over this past year my big boy gained 3 pounds... and that's a LOT for an adult tegu to put on... So needless to say, he's been put on a diet, and I feed him a little less often.

Is feeding every other day acceptable? What about when he's off his diet?

Thank you in advance.
  2. AlphaAlpha

AlphaAlpha Active Member

Ever 2-3 days is fine for an adult sized tegu in my opinion......:D:D
  3. Zyn

Zyn Active Member

Everyday as a baby, yes

But as an adult I only feed every 2-4 days depending on activity and body language.

As an explain I’ll mash some turkey, beef liver, and turkey hearts into a big meatball. He’ll eat it and be ready to eat again in twoish days.

He gets whole prey 2-3 times a week. For this example let’s say I give him two small rats. Those rats are going to take longer to digest. So most of the time he won’t even show signs of hunger for 3-4 days.

I just try and go by what his body language is telling me.
    Walter1 and Ash_fable like this.
  4. Ash_fable

Ash_fable New Member

Thank you, both of you. That's great to know that every day is for a baby, not an adult. I guess I've been feeding him right, I just might have to cut back on the portions.
  5. nightanole

nightanole Member

Id like to highjack this thread. So we have discovered that ours REALLY likes sous vide chicken eggs. We were wondering how much is too much. Is one a week too much?
  6. Guman

Guman Active Member

Even as a little gu mine has refused to eat every day. However, as a baby he was offered food everyday.
  7. Christa

Christa New Member

I adopted a male about a year and a half who only will come out and eat once a week.
  8. Zyn

Zyn Active Member

Once sev went on food as a baby he’s always hungry. Eats atleast every other day, he’d eat everyday if I let him some days he does. He’s about a year and a half old blue. Loves whole F/T small rats eats 2-3 a week.