• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How Not To See Me As Food?

KhanKrazy

So almost two weeks ago I brought home my new baby Blue Tegu, he is about 5 months old. Every single day I have been taking my time putting my hand in the enclosure and letting him smell me and get used to me. He is of course skittish but he has come over a few times, smelt, bite me, and walked off. The bites don't hurt so I haven't reacted or done anything. I also make sure to do this before and after feeding so he does not always see me opening the doors as food time. I do tong feed him pinkies but the remainder of his food I keep in his food dish. Well for the past two days now, every single time I put my hand in his enclosure he charges me and bites me first thing. I assume its because he thinks I am food or am bringing it. I always feed him around the same time, but I do not always do it first time I interact with him for the day.

Is this normal? Or is there a way I can get him to stop doing this every time? I haven't handled/touched him yet because every time I do, he panics and runs off so I am taking it slow and at his pace and if he comes to me, great, but as I've said the past two days its biting every single time I get my hand in there. I do always wash my hands with soap and water as well before I do this so I know it's not a lingering food smell. Thanks guys!

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Personally I don't believe it will be a food thing and is more likely to be territorial if hes charging, pushing boundaries to protect his patch....... I'd just keep doing what you're doing but if the bites are getting serious maybe use a glove until he realises you are not going to stop entering the enclosure.

KhanKrazy

Thank you! If this continues on for the rest of the week getting a pair of gloves is something I’ll definitely do. The bites don’t hurt at all, just surprise me, but I don’t want him getting larger and attempting this still.

Problem Child

I dealt qith this cehavior wit my red flame iguanas. Thing is they smart lizards. He os actually tryin 2 train you. O have 3 tegus. 1. B&w female named optimus 1 1/2 yrs 2. B&w blue mix female named Megatron 1yr 3. Red male named Carnage 7mths. Megatron&Carnage tried tha same wit me 4 tha 1st few weeks. I never had an enclosure 4 them they had my closet now they all just free roam all over tha house. I have multiple lizards that all frre home the house&all get alone. The tegus absolutely loves tha iguanas. Just keep it ip&build that trust. Try not 2 let him see you feed him& wat i did 2 create tha trust faster is i locced them in a bathroom wit me give baths&lots of holdin&touching few weeks you'll c able 2 do anything&everything with him

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced