• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How long does it take blue tegus to reach their full length?

firfy

I have read that b&W tegus can reach full length at 3 years, but I was wondering if it was different for blue tegus, since they are generally smaller than B&W tegus. I am trying to determine how much more time it would take my blue male to get to max length, he will be 2 years next month, his first year, he brumated for 2 months, and his second year, he brumated for 4 months.

rantology

I think its safe to say 2-3 years they reach their adult size. Like you noted, Tegus can have a relatively varied growth rate from individual to individual since they don't always follow the same brumation timings. Brumation alone doesn't affect their final adult size, some just take a little more time to get there than others.

Dylan koch

My blue female is 3 and half feet and isnt a year yet, my male blue ice is a little shorter and about 3 feet as well will both be year in September

Dylan koch

I've noticed they usually get full length in a year or so depending on how well they are fed and what types of food. Plus how long they hibernate in first year. But generally in first year pretty much full length but get alot wider within next year or 2

firfy

Ok thanks! My female blue is also 3 1/2 ft long too, but she didn't hibernate her first year, so she grew quite a bit quicker, she is now 3. My male did hibernate his first year, so I am expecting he will become full grown in about half a year to a full year, he is almost 2, and is 3 ft long.

Dylan koch

Mine both hibernated and both got 3 to 3and half feet in a year but again up till a month ago I fed them daily and mine eat better than I do lol.. now I feed every other day.

firfy

Ok thank you! My male was pretty skinny when I got him, I don't know how often his old owner fed him, but he was pretty skinny, I feed him everyday, he also hibernated his second year as well.

Scriffignano

I've had my tegu since August and I don't think she is even a full foot yet.

Edit: Strike that... she is 16 in from head to tail.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam