• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How can I regain a Tegu's trust?

Levi Zammit

So i'm a new Tegu owner and got my baby Argentine Black and White about 3 months ago. Everything started off well, first few days he was scared and shy but then started getting used to me and then got comfortable enough to let me handle/pet him and he started coming up to me and any other person to climb on without hesitance.
The problem he is isn't the best climber and keep falling off people and every time he falls he would stay frozen and shaking for about 10 seconds and then walk away, this has kept happening even though i have been more careful with keeping him from falling or jumping off and every time it has happened he had started disliking and being scared of people more and more till the point now that when i take him out he goes running away trying to hide immediately and has started to dislike handling.
I fear that he's associating Falling and hurting with people, does anyone know any good ways to regain his trust?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus are primarily terrestrial. A fall can break bones, a tail, and otherwise frighten the animal. It is not a bearded dragon or green iguana.

Climbing is safe only if you're sitting down.

You've associated that with being near people.

You can begin winning him back over with treats and be sure to talk to him gently. For example, loose in a blocked hallway.

So i'm a new Tegu owner and got my baby Argentine Black and White about 3 months ago. Everything started off well, first few days he was scared and shy but then started getting used to me and then got comfortable enough to let me handle/pet him and he started coming up to me and any other person to climb on without hesitance.
The problem he is isn't the best climber and keep falling off people and every time he falls he would stay frozen and shaking for about 10 seconds and then walk away, this has kept happening even though i have been more careful with keeping him from falling or jumping off and every time it has happened he had started disliking and being scared of people more and more till the point now that when i take him out he goes running away trying to hide immediately and has started to dislike handling.
I fear that he's associating Falling and hurting with people, does anyone know any good ways to regain his trust?
In time he will trust u. Tegu behavior is totally unlike dog or cat.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced