• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hiya

Wheatdos

I currently own a leopard tortoise, redfoot tortoise, and bearded dragon. I’ve wanted an Argentinian tegu for quite some time but I didn’t have room until now. (Got my first home) Now that I have room I’ve begun doing research into the tegus more and more and have decided, if I can plan things right, to get one. I believe I’ve got the diet down but my real question is the enclosure. With an enclosure say 8x4x4 how do you all go about cleaning them? How often do you do a full substrate change and wash I mean. And how do you go about removing and replacing all the substrate. One final question my friend pointed out is drainage of excess water. Do I need to provide drains at the bottom of my enclosure to prevent any issues?

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I don't have drains, and I only replace substrate as needed. My 3 yr old Argentinian is trained to go outside of his enclosure that is the same size you're talking about. Washing the glass is just "as needed" for me. I think if you have a good sense of smell, you sort of know the difference between "dirty" and organically healthy. So - I've heard once a month to clean, but I don't do that, and haven't had a problem. When they're young, you might have to do more than after the adult stage where they're trained to do what you need. You're the boss. You'll want to develop the habits you want him/her to have. That part is so important. As you go forward, you'll have more questions - especially about temps. Get a temp gun before you start - it helps to adjust your settings when you're not sure about them. Good Luck!

Wheatdos

I don't have drains, and I only replace substrate as needed. My 3 yr old Argentinian is trained to go outside of his enclosure that is the same size you're talking about. Washing the glass is just "as needed" for me. I think if you have a good sense of smell, you sort of know the difference between "dirty" and organically healthy. So - I've heard once a month to clean, but I don't do that, and haven't had a problem. When they're young, you might have to do more than after the adult stage where they're trained to do what you need. You're the boss. You'll want to develop the habits you want him/her to have. That part is so important. As you go forward, you'll have more questions - especially about temps. Get a temp gun before you start - it helps to adjust your settings when you're not sure about them. Good Luck!
Thank you so much for the feedback! I have temp gun currently for my other reptiles so hopefully that gets me slightly ahead of the game :) and thank you again. I’ll need the luck!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much for the feedback! I have temp gun currently for my other reptiles so hopefully that gets me slightly ahead of the game :) and thank you again. I’ll need the luck!
You'll be good! Make sure you pay attention to different posts about "guberty" - which occurs at about a year old, and don't be dismayed when you first get one if they treat you like you're their worst enemy. They're very smart and they do get over themselves, but it takes time. No rewarding bad behavior! :p :tegu:

Wheatdos

You'll be good! Make sure you pay attention to different posts about "guberty" - which occurs at about a year old, and don't be dismayed when you first get one if they treat you like you're their worst enemy. They're very smart and they do get over themselves, but it takes time. No rewarding bad behavior! :p :tegu:
Oh ok I will! I hadn’t heard of that yet. I’ll poke around the forum and see what I can learn :) and I’ll be sure not To reward any bad behavior lol

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi and welcome ....... I personally haven't done a full substrate change in the full time I've had him ..... I spot clean as I see and just throw in an extra bag of something when I think its a bit low.

You'll hear people that go to extremes....... Its all on personal preference and how bad it smells.

Also Most tend to not like shitting on their own doorstep and save it for play out time.....lol

Wheatdos

Hi and welcome ....... I personally haven't done a full substrate change in the full time I've had him ..... I spot clean as I see and just throw in an extra bag of something when I think its a bit low.

You'll hear people that go to extremes....... Its all on personal preference and how bad it smells.

Also Most tend to not like shitting on their own doorstep and save it for play out time.....lol
cool Thank you :) I know my torts go mostly during their soaks or in their water. So substrate change isn’t that often for them. I mostly asked because my friends were so persistent about it needing done. They are horse owners so things are a bit different with them lol I was hoping it’d end up being just spot cleaning mostly so this is all really good news.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I actually love horse poop - best material for a compost on the planet. I couldn't guess how much I've shoveled in my life. Don't forget - horses don't eat meat, like our Tegus. Comparing the two is like daisies to uh....rotten cheese. You might go through a period of doing a lot of cleaning of Tegu poop until you get your routine down, and he gets a little older. It's a rite of passage that all Tegu owners go through.

Tegu poop is at the top of my list for "worst hated poop". It's wise to decide where you want your Tegu to poop - and sometimes they train us with that! Lots of them like going in the tub, so if you're consistent with that, it works pretty well, although they're now dirty again, once this has happened. So I rinse them off if this happens.

My adult waits until he's out of the enclosure (for over a year now) and will go on the floor (God forbid it would happen on a carpet) after about 20 mins. of cruising. Its not a fun time cleaning up, but it's what you do if you own a Tegu. Another note - my Jack Russells just need to roll in this if I even leave the slightest hint of it on the floor. It's a triple cleaning job. You'll see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602