• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Her housing

lovely

Just wanting to make sure that she is good in there. Also I've only had her about 2 1/2 months and she shed her body but not her tail is this normal.
Can someone give me some advice if this is okay? Or am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpg
    IMG_1498.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 38

rantology

What are the dimensions on that? The width looks very small. Screen top will give you troubles trying to reach optimal humidity levels also. It appears she has all the essentials at the moment....If you are looking for any advice I would suggest considering:

1.) ditch the red light - those can actually be seen by reptiles and disrupt their night/day cycle... Tegus don't need night time heat as long as it stays above ~68-70.
2.) seal off as much of the screen top as possible to help hold humidity... regular plastic wrap can get the job done there as long as not touching any heat elements.
3.) work on trying to get her a larger enclosure... she would surely appreciate a little more space. Grow tents are a great option if you are on a budget... aim for 8x4x4

Body and tail seem to have their own shed cycles from my experience, it doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong as long as there are not multiple layers or cracking or anything occurring, it's fine. It'll come off when it's ready :D

LizardStudent

How long has her tail been on since her body shed? It might be having trouble coming off because this enclosure seems like it would not keep proper humidity levels, which should typically always be at least 60% and bumped up when they're trying to shed

Side note- you might want to consider replacing that clear plastic bin with an opaque one so your tegu can feel like it has a place to hide and not feel exposed. I would also load up that bin with some damp spagnum moss to help the tail get worked off, it would only help

What are the dimensions on that? The width looks very small. Screen top will give you troubles trying to reach optimal humidity levels also. It appears she has all the essentials at the moment....If you are looking for any advice I would suggest considering:

1.) ditch the red light - those can actually be seen by reptiles and disrupt their night/day cycle... Tegus don't need night time heat as long as it stays above ~68-70.
2.) seal off as much of the screen top as possible to help hold humidity... regular plastic wrap can get the job done there as long as not touching any heat elements.
3.) work on trying to get her a larger enclosure... she would surely appreciate a little more space. Grow tents are a great option if you are on a budget... aim for 8x4x4

Body and tail seem to have their own shed cycles from my experience, it doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong as long as there are not multiple layers or cracking or anything occurring, it's fine. It'll come off when it's ready :D

Attachments

• 20210213_091927.jpg
    20210213_091927.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 19
Inkbird digital thermostat. Hook it right up to your heat lamp are you ceramic. $14 for the best piece of Mind you'll ever have! It will turn on your heat and if it gets too warm you can even turn on a fan for you all in one.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Lizard Student about the clear hide vs an opaque or wooden hide. They retire to their hide for rest and security. Security is a big thing to them. They're about to sleep for hours, and they are really looking to be very "hidden".

Lots of us have been supplementing super Vitamin B complex to assist in sheds, seems to do well for general probs. And, I think we all recommend fish oil drizzled over their food. LIke Rantology said though - they often shed the tail last, it's not always a full shed all at once.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supportibi