• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help! (yellow after shed)

Rebecca Baker

I've had Puppy as a rescue for almost 2 years. Enclosure is 8×4×4 he has a MVB bulb for UVB & heat as well as a strip UVB to cover more area. I have a "kitty litter" pan for water with a small pond pump to keep water moving. High temps stay between 105-110 cool side about 85 humidity around 75-80. I have a mist king I run 2-3× a day to help with that. It's basically bioactive with mulch & soil substrates. Dermestead beetles superworms/beetles. He eats well and a large variety of fruits veggies & proteins. Yesterday I went to feed a rat & noticed he had loose shed, I removed it without force, it came right off. I noticed just above there was a "sore" so this morning I take him out for a betadine bath and notice spiders inside the enclosure. I removed all substrate while he was soaking and threw it out. While he's soaking I notice a line of yellowish scales where shed has come off and under his chin/jowls a reddish/irritated area. Upon more inspection with outside light it too looks yellowish. He shed about a month ago and everything looked normal. I have several other species of reptiles all captive bred and healthy, he obviously never comes in contact with. Husband swears it's irritation from climbing in & out the enclosure & the mulch. Am I over reacting? Do I take for skin biopsy? I know I'm all over the place, sorry if it comes off as rambles. Will post picture's in comments.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Rebecca Baker

A few pics
073dd5598581fe0d79a15bfab96efb38.jpg
62010072bd462876d2a25895e484a70b.jpg
1e7e18f5e08da6b8d73efdf3ccb72d8b.jpg
070deabdb01d52b154dc94cc0db27096.jpg

Leezard

5 Year Member
I guess the best thing you can do is give it a few days and see what happens as far as whether or not it heals on it's own. If it's not significantly improving I'd bring him in:/ sorry to hear about this complication

Rebecca Baker

I guess the best thing you can do is give it a few days and see what happens as far as whether or not it heals on it's own. If it's not significantly improving I'd bring him in:/ sorry to hear about this complication
Thank you! I've sent in a sample to the lab to have it tested for yf. I've been putting betadine and iodine on it. Not much of a change and now he has a smell to him.

Leezard

5 Year Member
Thank you! I've sent in a sample to the lab to have it tested for yf. I've been putting betadine and iodine on it. Not much of a change and now he has a smell to him.

Ooooh a smell :( that's usually not too good of a sign. I really hope they identify it quickly and get back to you before it progresses!! Would love to hear back when you figure it out

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam