• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help with whole foods

Mcpinchynubs

Hello again, I just have a question? So while I was getting feeders today the reptile zoo curator and my vet among others have told me to not feed whole mice. The lady at the zoo seemed like she was not going to sell me the mice and told me I'm killing it. Now as I told her my tegu eats fruits,veg,orgin meat tones of super worms the I breed and gut load myself. She also eats crickets, shrimp and just about any thing.
So I guess my question is why all the hate ? Oh and they are ft mice I want just for the record .

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I can only say that they are misinformed regarding nutrition for a tegu.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hello again, I just have a question? So while I was getting feeders today the reptile zoo curator and my vet among others have told me to not feed whole mice. The lady at the zoo seemed like she was not going to sell me the mice and told me I'm killing it. Now as I told her my tegu eats fruits,veg,orgin meat tones of super worms the I breed and gut load myself. She also eats crickets, shrimp and just about any thing.
So I guess my question is why all the hate ? Oh and they are ft mice I want just for the record .

Never heard or read any research to support this ..........Crazy:confused::eek:

Zyn

Misimformed you’d think a reptile curator would know better. But they probably also think feeding your dogs raw will turn them into wild wolves like beast. Never be surprised, no matter who they are by how wrong even the “experts” can be.

We have a 8 year old pug who has only ever had a raw diet. She’s the picture of health, not fat which is rare pugs, no gray hairs yet and no breathing issues. Our normal vet says she’s the healthiest pug she’s ever seen fully supports the raw diet. Keep in mind we have 5 dogs and a raw diet for 5 dogs cost more than most people spend on their kids lol. We one day had a different vet, our normal vet was sick and out for the week. This stand in vet then told us she was too thin for a pug, that raw diets are bad that dogs need veggies and fruits “dogs are carnivores”. She then tried to sell us a grain filled cheap dog food sold by the vet clinc, my wife laughed and we left.

Just goes to show you, even “vets” are misimformed or refuse to look into new ways of thinking.

Ivyna J Spyder

5 Year Member
Just a guess but...

It might be that captive bred mice are higher in fat, making it easier overfeed a captive tegu on them, especially since they don't get the sort of exercise they do in the wild.

Unlike say, snakes which are typically fed one mouse/rat a week or month, people tend to give their tegus multiple 'whole prey' items a week, so some vets might err on the side of caution against them entirely, just from bad experiences. I'd be curious to hear their full reasoning!

bocacash

5 Year Member
I totally agree with Walter and others..."terribly misinformed" ! I would venture to say the 'lady at the Zoo' might be expressing her personal dislike for feeding live prey. There is a constant discussion about live vs frozen (even no prey at all) feeding...plenty of advocates on both sides...some VERY adamant and vocal ! I believe it is necessary to look at ANY animal's natural diet as their main diet...with rational additions/substitutions to maximize health and well being. Tegu's are basically carnivores, with the ability/need to eat just about anything under dire circumstances. They chase down their prey, kill it efficiently, and eat it whole. They derive a multitude of nutrients/benefits from this behavior and should be allowed to do it in captivity. :)

bocacash

5 Year Member
Hmmm... a bit off track...but, I just noticed that I am listed as a "New Member"..."5 year Member."..and "Joined: Apr.3, 2011". I don't know how to change that...but, I believe "New Member" is inappropriate ! :)

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hmmm... a bit off track...but, I just noticed that I am listed as a "New Member"..."5 year Member."..and "Joined: Apr.3, 2011". I don't know how to change that...but, I believe "New Member" is inappropriate ! :)
Text that number 5624580830 to Joshua Barraza to correct the listing.

Mcpinchynubs

Now that I have switched to a mostly whole diet I have seen huge changes. She is going into her second shed now since I was able to get all the stuck stuff off. Bathing every day for an hr in warm water coconut oil rub while wet and I kept her humid hide at 80% or just abit above.
She absolutely loves mice and rat pups and ever other day I make a mash of chicken hearts (chopped) dandelion for greens, fruits and ground Turkey. I also inject a mouse with cod liver oil once or twice a week, not exceeding 1 tsp per week.

Mcpinchynubs

Here are some pics. Not sure if it worked or not. I'm on mobile:s

Attachments

• 20190629_115321(0).jpg
    20190629_115321(0).jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20190629_115301.jpg
    20190629_115301.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20190625_085512.jpg
    20190625_085512.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20190629_110154.jpg
    20190629_110154.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 7

Tizzay89

Just be careful of fur impaction. If your buying feeders there is an option for hairless. Doesnt just need to be mice. Other reptiles are good aswell. Mine loves anoles and I have house gekos on order :p these are only treats as her diet is filled with everything she needs in a tegu omelet. Not sure why whole prey is needed when you are making organ meat mixed with cal vita n greens. But mine seems to enjoy the hunt so I treat her ofc :p

Zyn

A properly hydrated Tegu shouldn’t have issues passing hair. Hell Sevs number 2s look like part cat hair balls. He gets 2-3 medium rats a week. I still believe a lot of impaction issues are due to hydration issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmelanc602