• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Help w blowing bulbs!

Mordi

Recently I’ve been losing a lot of my bulbs! I’ve never had this problem until we moved recently so I kinda assume it’s at least partially the wiring. I was wondering if you guys had any tips?? Like if a shell with a dimmer vs. a switch was more likely to increase bulb life or any particularly durable bulbs you can think of. Even if you think a new outlet extender would help. Any recommendations at all, really! ((ALSO THIS IS MY FIRST QUESTION ON ANY FORUM EVER SO I HOPE IM DOING IT RIGHT))

thank you!! - Kamata and me

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi there. I'm thinking this is a task for an electician. I also add that Zoomed brand gives out quickly in my experience.

Bram040

Could depend on the light bulb, some lamps are not dimmable and will flicker when dimmed. Flickering on mercury vapor bulbs will drasticly shorten lifespan, also the uvb produced by "dimmed" lights is far less then when not dimmed, u should only dim heat light not uvb or uvb+heat.

Also do not touch the bulb with your bare hands, always use gloves or a cloth cuz the fat and sweat from your hands will stick on the bulb and when turned on it will burn in the bulb, also drasticly shortens lifespan.

Are the lamps the right voltage?
I beleef usa uses 120v wile europe uses 230V lamps. Using and 120v bulb in 230v socket will work but will also drasticly decrese lifespan and will produce ALOT more light for a short wile (idk what this does to uvb)

I heard alot of good things about "mega-ray" light bulbs

Mordi

Hi there. I'm thinking this is a task for an electician. I also add that Zoomed brand gives out quickly in my experience.
OH, THAT COULD EXPLAIN SOME THINGS! I’ve mostly tried using zoomed bulbs. I’ll let my grandpa ((contractor who also built my little guy’s enclosure)) come take a look at it!

Mordi

too much humidity or not enough ventilation maybe???
Maybe!! My humidity is about at 88% right now. He’s in an 8x4x4 enclosure with a vent on each side, so I could definitely try either propping the top to his cage open a little bit or installing another vent at the top!

Mordi

Maybe!! My humidity is about at 88% right now. He’s in an 8x4x4 enclosure with a vent on each side, so I could definitely try either propping the top to his cage open a little bit or installing another vent at the top!
Could depend on the light bulb, some lamps are not dimmable and will flicker when dimmed. Flickering on mercury vapor bulbs will drasticly shorten lifespan, also the uvb produced by "dimmed" lights is far less then when not dimmed, u should only dim heat light not uvb or uvb+heat.

Also do not touch the bulb with your bare hands, always use gloves or a cloth cuz the fat and sweat from your hands will stick on the bulb and when turned on it will burn in the bulb, also drasticly shortens lifespan.

Are the lamps the right voltage?
I beleef usa uses 120v wile europe uses 230V lamps. Using and 120v bulb in 230v socket will work but will also drasticly decrese lifespan and will produce ALOT more light for a short wile (idk what this does to uvb)

I heard alot of good things about "mega-ray" light bulbs
OH THANK YOU!! I’LL TRY LOOKING INTO MEGA-RAY BULBS! I didn’t realize putting it in a lamp with a higher voltage could decrease the lifespan, so I’ll have to double check the voltage and buy a new lamp if so! AND THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFO!!!

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member

just try propping top open a couple of MM and increase if needed.... I personally wouldn't put another vent in until you definitely know because if you put too much ventilation in you risk loosing all your humidity and end up with the hassle of having to use foggers/misters.

Bram040

Mine is around 50-60% hum with moist substrate (wich he loves to dig in)and it sheds perfectly

I think moist substrate is much more important then high humidity expecialy when they are young and burrow alot

Mordi

just try propping top open a couple of MM and increase if needed.... I personally wouldn't put another vent in until you definitely know because if you put too much ventilation in you risk loosing all your humidity and end up with the hassle of having to use foggers/misters.
OH THATS A GOOD IDEA. I’ll try propping it open when I get home this afternoon! I did notice as soon as I open it a lot of the moisture escapes so I’m hoping it isn’t because of that extreme transition either!

Mordi

Mine is around 50-60% hum with moist substrate (wich he loves to dig in)and it sheds perfectly

I think moist substrate is much more important then high humidity expecialy when they are young and burrow alot
IM GLAD THE HUMIDITY IS STAYING PRETTY HIGH THEN! It’s usually around 80% and I’ve noticed his shedding seems pretty easy for him! I also periodically try to check the layers since the tutorial I used for his bio active substrate said the moisture should be retained at the bottom and it seems to be doing just that!! I’m trying to install thermometers but the ones they sent me didn’t come with anything to hang them so usually I just reach in and move it around to check and make sure everything is in order!

Mamasaurus

When I had that problem it was the ceramic part that holds the bulb. When it loosens it affects the ground and blows the bulb. Try tightening the ceramic part against the dome.

nightanole

Line voltage averages 120v, but it can be 110-135 depending on how far down the line you are. The higher the voltage, the brighter and shorter the bulb life.

Mordi

When I had that problem it was the ceramic part that holds the bulb. When it loosens it affects the ground and blows the bulb. Try tightening the ceramic part against the dome.
I’LL DEFINITELY TRY THAT! Right before I logged on as I was turning off his lamps for the night my new uvb bulb I got 2 weeks ago just blew out :/ maybe that will help! I’m also getting a new surge protector tomorrow for double insurance

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980