• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

HELP PLEASE. (won't eat)

Molly

9BF09422-0347-48E6-9D68-2F0E0FF7EDC7.jpeg
8E769D76-6BEB-4D29-827D-C72D371D2006.jpeg
47DD3D22-E41C-4813-80DB-2CD93B59F367.jpeg
C5B5F84B-FBBC-4857-8D45-82874F2A13E6.jpeg
So I got a new juvenile B&W tegu from Rodney at TegusOnly on Feb. 7th. I got him/her to eat a tiny bit of ground turkey 2 days ago & that’s it! I’ve tried roaches & super worms with no luck. All he/she does is hide I take him/her out everyday very nice doesn’t ever try to bite or anything. Hangouts on my bed & cuddles up with me. I thought mby he/she was just trying to get use to its new enclosure/home but when I came home tonight I seen he/she had thrown up. I’m going to schedule a vet appointment but does anyone have any pointers this is my first Tegu! Please & thank you! I posted a picture of the throw up & my new tegu!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Did you see him puke? Looks like poop to me. Must provide suitable temp. gradient. Rodney's tegus are solid animals, still any new animal can use a trip to a vet that knows exotics. Typical for new tegu to hid and keep to itself 1-2 weeks wjen new as they settle in. confusing is that itvis also wintet slowdown time for them.

Molly

Thank you so much! I think I’m keeping the temps & everything good I researched A LOT lol but I guess I never researched what their poop looks like! Lmao now I’m embarrassed but I’m happy I know now! But yes I’m still going to take him/her to the vet once I know he/she is comfortable! Thank you again!

Mike B

View attachment 13494 View attachment 13493 View attachment 13491 View attachment 13492 So I got a new juvenile B&W tegu from Rodney at TegusOnly on Feb. 7th. I got him/her to eat a tiny bit of ground turkey 2 days ago & that’s it! I’ve tried roaches & super worms with no luck. All he/she does is hide I take him/her out everyday very nice doesn’t ever try to bite or anything. Hangouts on my bed & cuddles up with me. I thought mby he/she was just trying to get use to its new enclosure/home but when I came home tonight I seen he/she had thrown up. I’m going to schedule a vet appointment but does anyone have any pointers this is my first Tegu! Please & thank you! I posted a picture of the throw up & my new tegu!

Molly, mine threw up also. Could have been the food. I would feed light and just watch for a few days. Rodney feeds a mixed medley of meat, papaya, mango, avocado, and a monkey mix or something like that.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I got my Tegu from Rodney last April, he was a little older than yours, and very skittish, and even paranoid of anything I did. He loved raw egg, (which I just cracked into a small shallow bowl, shells crushed) and lapped it up like a dog. Almost a year later - still a favorite of his. He's grown so much - 38" now, and 8-9 lbs. I also tried all the bugs you did - they just end up enjoying their new home that they share with the Tegu. He wants nothing to do with them. Mine also likes papaya, mango, ground turkey, occasional banana - so mostly tropical fruits. I've tried other fruits - he just leaves them. Recently he's picking at more vegetables after he eats his favorite stuff (like red and yellow peppers). I give him thawed dead mice every time he eats now too. I like not worrying about all of his nourishment/vitamins every time I feed. Oh - also, Rodney said only feed every other day - but my Tegu will go sleep for 2 days (just hiding) and then come looking for food. So - he rarely eats every other day. Sometimes though, when he hangs out a lot - I keep food available to him. In essence, he dictates his needs, and seems happy to (finally) show some bonding tendencies!!

Molly

I got my Tegu from Rodney last April, he was a little older than yours, and very skittish, and even paranoid of anything I did. He loved raw egg, (which I just cracked into a small shallow bowl, shells crushed) and lapped it up like a dog. Almost a year later - still a favorite of his. He's grown so much - 38" now, and 8-9 lbs. I also tried all the bugs you did - they just end up enjoying their new home that they share with the Tegu. He wants nothing to do with them. Mine also likes papaya, mango, ground turkey, occasional banana - so mostly tropical fruits. I've tried other fruits - he just leaves them. Recently he's picking at more vegetables after he eats his favorite stuff (like red and yellow peppers). I give him thawed dead mice every time he eats now too. I like not worrying about all of his nourishment/vitamins every time I feed. Oh - also, Rodney said only feed every other day - but my Tegu will go sleep for 2 days (just hiding) and then come looking for food. So - he rarely eats every other day. Sometimes though, when he hangs out a lot - I keep food available to him. In essence, he dictates his needs, and seems happy to (finally) show some bonding tendencies!!
Thank you!! My man is one happy camper now! He’s full of engery eating everything and seems very happy! I take him out everyday & let him cuddle me in bed he loves it!! I’m so happy I was just so worried because I’ve never owned a Tegu before but I’m quickly learning! When I received mine he was about 17” just measured him tonight & he’s about 22” he’s growing so fast I love it!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
They do grow fast!! I was surprised with Skully's growth too. It's so great that you can do the cuddle thing. Skully isn't a cuddler in any way. If he allows me to pick him up, it's a good day. I've had him a year - he walked around the floor of my house for the first time yesterday. He immediately went and hid in a cold dark spot where I had to coax him out with some food. He still wishes I'd go away every day. Love him to pieces.

Molly

5C3D2B42-DA5E-4290-89B3-25065C977485.jpeg
Awwwe I’m sorry that’s gotta be hard! How big was he when you first got him? Mine wanted nothing to do with me for awhile so I started taking him out with the parking light & id put the basking light over my legs on my bed then he finally realized if he wanted to bask he had to come lay on me it took about 4 days but he finally got it and now all he wants to do is be on me! I love him him & my dog are also best friends now lmo I’ll post a picture!!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I got him a year ago, and with my first time holding him he went into a death roll. It was a long hard road with him, but it's never boring that's for sure! So - (birthday time again).....my husband just plopped a little baby B/W in my lap from Rodney Irwin at Tegus Only in Fla. OH MY GOSH. She feels female to me (but who knows?) and I'm hoping for a cuddler. Btw....what a cute Sharpei!

Molly

Ohh my that’s soo exciting!! You found a keeper! Haha do you have Facebook or anything!? I’d love to watch your new baby grow & you could watch mine! Ha I’ll finally have someone who understands the Tegu life ha Thank you that is nala she is the best dog in the world!!!!

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Well... I will have to now inform my pups that they only come in a close second. Nala has the reigning title. I don't actually do Facebook anymore - but I'll try to get some posts of my very quiet and calm little monster soon! Thanks - Can't wait to watch them grow up!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced